Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vienna Derby FK Austria v Rapid

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
I'm going to the Vienna derby match on Sunday and taking my kids, heard it can get a bit intense with the rival supporters. Anyone been before?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I guess I should respond as I seem to be the only Austrian based Seagull on this forum...

Never been to the derby match but I have been to plenty of matches here in Linz involving both Viennese clubs. There have been countless incidents at this match over the last few years alone (fans invading the pitch, opposing goalkeepers hit by smoke bombs) and I think you need to adopt a cautious attitude. Both sets of fans have an equal tendency to misbehave so I can't say that one is worse than the other. If you're sitting with the home fans (Austria) best to cheer them on and best not to wear anything green!

I'm sure if you stick to the city centre before and after the game you won't have a problem.

Enjoy the game and enjoy Vienna - it's a fascinating city.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
I guess I should respond as I seem to be the only Austrian based Seagull on this forum...

Never been to the derby match but I have been to plenty of matches here in Linz involving both Viennese clubs. There have been countless incidents at this match over the last few years alone (fans invading the pitch, opposing goalkeepers hit by smoke bombs) and I think you need to adopt a cautious attitude. Both sets of fans have an equal tendency to misbehave so I can't say that one is worse than the other. If you're sitting with the home fans (Austria) best to cheer them on and best not to wear anything green!

I'm sure if you stick to the city centre before and after the game you won't have a problem.

Enjoy the game and enjoy Vienna - it's a fascinating city.

Thanks for the reply. I'm here for 6 months on and off so plan on taking in a few games. Went to UCL game tonight and it was fine but derby will be different I guess. Will be an FK Austria Vienna supporter for the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here