Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bad man management?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think everyone knows that most things in life, and certainly sport, are down to confidence. For example, Man Utd players didn't go from good(Champions) to bad (lucky to get in the top 4 - if that counts as bad), they went from confident to uncertain.

So I am concerned about how often Nathan Jones has more or less said we can't be expected to win with so many players out. He has said that there are 7 players who would be in the first team and the implication is that we can't win and can't be expected to win with the lot we have to select from now. Doesn't exactly build confidence in the players does it?

For me the players available now are certainly good enough to be winning in this league - Buckley, Barnes, David, Crofts, Andrews, Calde and others can all score goals when on form. It seems to me it would be better for the managment and fans to encourage the players we have got available to believe they are good enough, and I think on their day they are, rather than keep on moaning about players we don't have available.

Just a thought.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's a fact that we have a dismal injury list but there's still a pretty decent team that can be named, certainly one that should be capable of beating Yeovil, and others

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If I had a concern over any of the management team it would be with Nathan. No real experience as a coach, was never much of a player, and a bit of a cock as proved by his antics v us with Yeovil.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If I had a concern over any of the management team it would be with Nathan. No real experience as a coach, was never much of a player, and a bit of a cock as proved by his antics v us with Yeovil.

Well if that isn't conclusive proof I don't know what is.

Jones Out!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Where did he say that?

Gus was castigated on here suggesting that we were going to certain games away knowing we would lose therefore he wasn't concentrating on them.

I hope this is just paper talk and not a direct quote!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think everyone knows that most things in life, and certainly sport, are down to confidence. For example, Man Utd players didn't go from good(Champions) to bad (lucky to get in the top 4 - if that counts as bad), they went from confident to uncertain.

So I am concerned about how often Nathan Jones has more or less said we can't be expected to win with so many players out. He has said that there are 7 players who would be in the first team and the implication is that we can't win and can't be expected to win with the lot we have to select from now. Doesn't exactly build confidence in the players does it?

For me the players available now are certainly good enough to be winning in this league - Buckley, Barnes, David, Crofts, Andrews, Calde and others can all score goals when on form. It seems to me it would be better for the managment and fans to encourage the players we have got available to believe they are good enough, and I think on their day they are, rather than keep on moaning about players we don't have available.

Just a thought.

Its a good thought and one I keep banging on about. Its not good enough to keep hiding under the..." most of our best players are injured, so what do you expect " banner. Other clubs have similar problems. Reading have a string of players out ( including two of the best keepers in the league ) but they are quietly going about their business, knuckling down, getting results and cementing a top six place.
The team available at Yeovil should have been capable of winning that game. It was crying out for an ugly 1-0. Just enough class and desire ( even when you are below par ) to tilt the balance. Any team with aspirations this season will take six points off Yeovil. They are awful.
Thats the worry. We didn't have enough about us even to manage an ugly 1-0. Decent pro's giving the ball away over and over again. Overhit crosses, lack of running off the ball, poor workrate, poor first touches all over the pitch.
This is one level below the PL. Some fans seem to forget this when making excuses for our players. They are falling below a level expected. They need to be shaken out of their complacency. Nathan Jones needs to knuckle down and help OG get this team playing to near the standard we expect. Lets have a bit of thinking ' outside the box ' for a change. So we struggle on with no strikers to speak of ( Ashley ' Sahara ' Barnes and Leroy ' whats a football ' Lita ) will try their best but sometimes desperate measures are called for. Why not throw Upson or El Abd up-top in the last 15 mins? There's cover at the back.
We need to win a game of football and get some momentum back. At the moment, its too flat, too predictable and only going one way.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Where did he say that?

Gus was castigated on here suggesting that we were going to certain games away knowing we would lose therefore he wasn't concentrating on them.

I hope this is just paper talk and not a direct quote!

Dunno: In his interview after Yeovil he said that with so many out we are just trying to hang in there and have a big push once the big players are back.

This is what Oscar says:

Head coach Oscar will be hoping November brings a change in fortune, and that he will begin to see some of his key stars returning to action.

He said, “It has been very frustrating for all of us, but we have to stick together as a club, with the fans, and keep going.

“We still have enough quality in the squad, and we know that once we do overcome this period and get everyone fit our squad can rival any other in the Championship.”

Agustien, Bridcutt and Orlandi are closest to a return to action and it is hoped the trio will be back by early November; Mackail-Smith and Ulloa, like LuaLua, are likely to return in December; while Hoskins is not expected to feature until spring at the earliest.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Its a good thought and one I keep banging on about. Its not good enough to keep hiding under the..." most of our best players are injured, so what do you expect " banner. Other clubs have similar problems. Reading have a string of players out ( including two of the best keepers in the league ) but they are quietly going about their business, knuckling down, getting results and cementing a top six place.
The team available at Yeovil should have been capable of winning that game. It was crying out for an ugly 1-0. Just enough class and desire ( even when you are below par ) to tilt the balance. Any team with aspirations this season will take six points off Yeovil. They are awful.
Thats the worry. We didn't have enough about us even to manage an ugly 1-0. Decent pro's giving the ball away over and over again. Overhit crosses, lack of running off the ball, poor workrate, poor first touches all over the pitch.
This is one level below the PL. Some fans seem to forget this when making excuses for our players. They are falling below a level expected. They need to be shaken out of their complacency. Nathan Jones needs to knuckle down and help OG get this team playing to near the standard we expect. Lets have a bit of thinking ' outside the box ' for a change. So we struggle on with no strikers to speak of ( Ashley ' Sahara ' Barnes and Leroy ' whats a football ' Lita ) will try their best but sometimes desperate measures are called for. Why not throw Upson or El Abd up-top in the last 15 mins? There's cover at the back.
We need to win a game of football and get some momentum back. At the moment, its too flat, too predictable and only going one way.

Think you've got it spot on.

I know we're a considerably weaker team with our current injury list BUT the players we do have available are still some very good players who should be achieving more than they have been. Especially against the division's whipping boys Yeovil who haven't won a game at home all season. Compare our starting line up on Saturday with Yeovil's and on paper that should have been an easy away win. We've got proven premiership players, full internationals and in Will Buckley, a MILLION POUND player.

We are low on confidence and we are underachieving. That is a fact. Whether it's a man management issue is another matter but it's certainly worth considering

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Jones post Yeovil: We are on an average run at the moment, but we've not been helped by the injuries to seven key players. #BHAFC
Jones post Yeovil: We need to get everyone back fit and sharp and then we will have a squad to rival anyone in division
NJ: "We are missing that goalscorer, somebody who can win games

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Jones post Yeovil: We are on an average run at the moment, but we've not been helped by the injuries to seven key players. #BHAFC
Jones post Yeovil: We need to get everyone back fit and sharp and then we will have a squad to rival anyone in division
NJ: "We are missing that goalscorer, somebody who can win games

Where does he say that we are not expected to win with so many injuries? I watched his interview after Yeovil and it was nothing controversial really - just saying what we already know ie we cannot put the ball in the poxy goal.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Where does he say that we are not expected to win with so many injuries? I watched his interview after Yeovil and it was nothing controversial really - just saying what we already know ie we cannot put the ball in the poxy goal.

If I recall rightly he also says something like "anyone who has seen us will know we are playing well and just not finishing", or something like that. I might be wrong but if so I need to get to the opticians because I've not seen much of note (except the purple patch v Bolton and decent v Reading - didn't go to QPR)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
If I recall rightly he also says something like "anyone who has seen us will know we are playing well and just not finishing", or something like that. I might be wrong but if so I need to get to the opticians because I've not seen much of note (except the purple patch v Bolton and decent v Reading - didn't go to QPR)

He did say something along those lines yes. "The pleasing thing was the performance" was another one! I assume he means the number of chances that were created ...

el punal

Give Oscar and his coaching staff the benefit of doubt. I was at the Yeovil match and yes, it was dire. Having said that let's wait and see how the team perform when those injured key players return. The time to then cast judgement will probably be January.

If we are inept and as clueless as we were against Yeovil come the start of 2014, then I feel serious questions need to be asked about the management and coaching of the team.

Binep

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Some people aren't reasonable much for us to have the necessary way of being good and in the same way letting us have the thing according to our needs because it finally works for the logical cause we do move for the way that help us morally.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Some people aren't reasonable much for us to have the necessary way of being good and in the same way letting us have the thing according to our needs because it finally works for the logical cause we do move for the way that help us morally.

I think I have always wanted to say this but i could never quite find the words.

I am quite emotional now that someone has put my feelings in such an eloquent and poetic way.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here