Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the train people of NSC ~ Gatwick Express!!

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Simply, why do these bloody trains keep breaking??
Yet again my train home was split from the usual 10 coaches down to 5 which is becoming a more then a regular occorance. And every time it is the standard announcement "we apologise for the short formation of this service today, this is due to a fault earlier today which could not be rectified"

These trains seem to breakdown more then our bloody players which is some going at the moment!
Are they realy that fragile or are the "split up" to be used elsewhere on the network?

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Because they are over 40 years old and parts to repair them are hard to source hence having to make do with what you have to keep them going.

40 years old, are they really? It would certainly explain things...

However wouldn't the same basic principles of economics apply to say that of a car? Ie lease a new/newer one which would no doubt be more expensive but would then be offset against repair bills and maintainance??

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick

40 years old, are they really? It would certainly explain things...

However wouldn't the same basic principles of economics apply to say that of a car? Ie lease a new/newer one which would no doubt be more expensive but would then be offset against repair bills and maintainance??

I understood that the (5 car) 442 Gatwick Units were all built in 1988-89 so 25years old?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Here we go, I will tempt fate. In 10 years of fairly regular Gatwick Express travel, I can only think of a handful of times when it hasn't been on time.....

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Here we go, I will tempt fate. In 10 years of fairly regular Gatwick Express travel, I can only think of a handful of times when it hasn't been on time.....

Well you have been very lucky, 4 times in last 10 days for me. Admitadly not for a long while before.
Just see things getting worse with the cold weather coming....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
explain this though: the same train type is used on the London Bridge - Eastbourne route for a couple of extra commuter trains, but i dont think it ever breaks down (touch wood) (although obviously fewer journeys). is it possibly a case there is a particular carriage or two that are wonky?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
explain this though: the same train type is used on the London Bridge - Eastbourne route for a couple of extra commuter trains, but i dont think it ever breaks down (touch wood) (although obviously fewer journeys). is it possibly a case there is a particular carriage or two that are wonky?

It fails, believe me.

The traction equipment and base of the trains are over 40 years old - should be replaced soon.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm just happy they come all the way through to Brighton now. Not that long ago they just trolled up and down the line between Gatwick and Victoria. Still the most comfortable train on the Brighton line by far.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
I'm just happy they come all the way through to Brighton now. Not that long ago they just trolled up and down the line between Gatwick and Victoria. Still the most comfortable train on the Brighton line by far.

Agree, but are also the most expensive to use! Which is fine if they are providing a service!
They have fantastic ability to cancel trains at short notice and as previously mentioned half the number of carriages in use.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

You obviously don't get the same train as me then. They are the worst trains on the tracks at the moment, in my experience the least reliable. Although this has improved slightly since the replacement of some of the internal doors. I cannot get through a single week without at least one delay, and we are now moving into the time of year where these delays become multiple delays.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I preferred it when they didn't the old southern timetable was more beneficial to me, and the Southern trains in my experience break down far less. The GE trains are not as reliable at all.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've been commuting to London Bridge on the Gatwick Express rolling stock since April and not once have they broken down or been shortened. I'm very happy to use them because they are so much more comfortable than other trains.

*touch wood*

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've been commuting to London Bridge on the Gatwick Express rolling stock since April and not once have they broken down or been shortened. I'm very happy to use them because they are so much more comfortable than other trains.

*touch wood*

Have to say that I'm in the same boat as badger here.

**WARNING MORE ANORAKING**

For the sake of completeness here is what happened to the previous stock used when the "Gatwick Express" did only what it said on the box.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_460

When they just had a class 73 on the front of some old main line stock I am sure that it all ran a lot better.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Im with Hotchillidog on this one! the delays I can deal with (to a certain extent) its the short notice cacellations and the shortening of the trains that really gets my goat!
When I pay a premium to travel on the GE i do expect a "premium" service otherwise I would save myself a small fortune and travel on the standard southern train or save even more money again and travel the dreaded FCC!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
***WARNING ANORAK ALERT***

These links explain the genealogy of the "Plastic Pigs".http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_442 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_432

**WARNING MORE ANORAKING**

For the sake of completeness here is what happened to the previous stock used when the "Gatwick Express" did only what it said on the box.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_460

When they just had a class 73 on the front of some old main line stock I am sure that it all ran a lot better.

I do like a good ''Anorak Alert'' post as I know its aimed at me :bigwave:

What I have never understood NP is that SWT dumped the 442's for the newer 'Desiros' then Southern swap the newer 'Junipers' with SWT for their old 442 rolling stock so they refurb them and stick an older train on the Gatwick Express.

Whats that all about then? :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here