Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice and Monaco

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Me and Mrs Crodo are off to Nice and Monaco on a pre Xmas break on December.

Any tips on places to see and decent places to eat and drink that are not abhorrently expensive would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Plenty of places in both you can eat for "normal" money if you like Pizza and Pasta.

If Mrs Crodo likes her perfume, between Nice and Monaco is one of the best Perfumeries apparently and set on the side of a hoofing great gorge, worth a look.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
There are dozens of cafes and restaurants in Old Nice and the prices are okay due to competition. The local speciality is soca, a kind of flat bread made from chickpeas I think.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
Plenty of places in both you can eat for "normal" money if you like Pizza and Pasta.

If Mrs Crodo likes her perfume, between Nice and Monaco is one of the best Perfumeries apparently and set on the side of a hoofing great gorge, worth a look.

Grasse, on the Gorge du Loup?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Grasse, on the Gorge du Loup?

There's not an awful lot to see in Grasse, to be honest.

It's not between Nice and Monaco, either. Its 40 minutes drive in the other direction, just North of Cannes.

Cannes is great. Go there instead.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
You can eat for very reasonable prices in lots of places in Nice (particularly in the old town, Vieux Nice). Just avoid the obvious tourist traps and Nice is not that expensive.

I went back there for the first time in at least ten years a couple of winters back and thought Nice looked a lot cleaner and smarter than before.

We really liked Antibes and some of the hilltop villages - Eze, St Paul de Vence, Tourrettes.

As HKFC mentioned, Grasse isn't really worth going to unless you're into parfumeries.

Nov 25, 2011
You can eat for very reasonable prices in lots of places in Nice (particularly in the old town, Vieux Nice). Just avoid the obvious tourist traps and Nice is not that expensive.

I went back there for the first time in at least ten years a couple of winters back and thought Nice looked a lot cleaner and smarter than before.

We really liked Antibes and some of the hilltop villages - Eze, St Paul de Vence, Tourrettes.

As HKFC mentioned, Grasse isn't really worth going to unless you're into parfumeries.

Don't f***ing bother to go to c***ing Tourrettes

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Me and Mrs Crodo are off to Nice and Monaco on a pre Xmas break on December.

Any tips on places to see and decent places to eat and drink that are not abhorrently expensive would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Want a day away from the big towns? Go to Villefranche-sur-mer. Absolutely beautiful village to the east of Nice. Check it out on Maps. If you're going the other way, Juan les Pins has great beaches and a good "below sea" boat tour around the bay of billionaires. The south if France is fantastic. Have fun!

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Crono

Please drop me a message and cotact email and I will email you a useful guide my Sister has put together for Nice. I am there a few times a year and it is brilliant. One of Europes finest (NIce not me!)

TNBA

TF

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Just came back from a week in Nice last Saturday.Good advice is to hire an apartment for a week ( Nicepebbles .com)and use Nice as your base.Public transport is as cheap as chips.Forget Monaco go to Antibes,Cannes,Vence,St Paul De Vence and as mentioned VilleFrance-sur-mer.Treat yourselves to a 19euro cocktail in the iconic Hotel Negresco in Nice and see the amazingly quirky toilets.Take plenty of money it is a shoppers paradise.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Contrary to what others are saying, Monaco is well worth an afternoon - the boats, the F1 circuit, the Palace, etc.

My tip for the area, is Gourdon, in the mountains 40 minutes or so North of Cannes. Its an AMAZING citadel, like something out of Lord of the Rings, with spectacular views. The road up there is not for the faint hearted, though.

Last edited:

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
If you end up in Cannes you should get a boat to Île Saint-Honorat. Beautiful, quiet island with a small fort and monastery... gorgeous.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I used to have to go to Nice quite a lot for work and would often pop to Monaco, because we could. Stars and Bars on the harbour in Monte Carlo is a good place to eat as it's not pricey and has an interesting interior. But as mentioned above, visit Cannes and try their mussels

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Contrary to what others are saying, Monaco is well worth an afternoon - the boats, the F1 circuit, the Palace, etc.

My tip for the area, is Gourdon, in the mountains 40 minutes or so North of Cannes. Its an AMAZING citadel, like something out of Lord of the Rings, with spectacular views. The road up there is not for the faint hearted, though.

Is there any way you can do the grand prix circuit? Do they do tours or a bus route round it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here