Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Vokes

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Eight goals in eight games for Burnley. Burnley are top of the Championship.

My opinion of him in his loan spell was that he was a journeyman hoofer and nowhere near the standard we were looking for.

So was I wrong? Has he dramatically improved? Maybe our midfield wasn't/isn't equipped to provide the service that an average striker requires?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I seem to recall Vicente picking Vokes out with a delicate chip for a clever goal (at Forest?).

I think Sam had more about him than Barn Door Billy, but then that wasn't difficult.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To be fair, we do seem to do that...seemly according to a few on here, woods was shit, vokes was shit, Henderson was shit, and there have been more.

We are not a very tolerant bunch and assume we have every right to have players of premiership standard playing for us...when of course we can't afford them, can't afford their wages and finally can't keep any of them fit anyway.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Vokes needed one thing, stability. He was sent out on endless loan spells by Wolves, which did nothing for his development. Remember that he is still fairly young. Burnley have given him the stability he was after, and are reaping the rewards.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I seem to recall Vicente picking Vokes out with a delicate chip for a clever goal (at Forest?).

I think Sam had more about him than Barn Door Billy, but then that wasn't difficult.

Remember that goal at Forest.I was in the Upper Trent & I think that was the only time Vokes touched the ball,idle wotsit!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I always thought Vokes was ok. We could have had Messi playing up front for us that season. Football is about playing a system to suit your players. Not playing a system for the sake of it. That's why we have never seen the best of Cms. I still think Cms is quality, just needs the right partner.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Decent striker playing for a decent team with a decent English manager showing us how to do it, maybe they are concentrating on the pitch instead of FFP ?

Burnley still get an 8 million pound parachute payment this year, which helps somewhat in dealing with FFP.

Eight goals in eight games for Burnley. Burnley are top of the Championship.

My opinion of him in his loan spell was that he was a journeyman hoofer and nowhere near the standard we were looking for.

So was I wrong? Has he dramatically improved? Maybe our midfield wasn't/isn't equipped to provide the service that an average striker requires?

Would that be Burnley who we beat 2 - 0 at the beginning of the season?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I always thought Vokes was ok. We could have had Messi playing up front for us that season. Football is about playing a system to suit your players. Not playing a system for the sake of it. That's why we have never seen the best of Cms. I still think Cms is quality, just needs the right partner.
Yeah, wasn't Poyet at his very most defensive, when Vokes was playing.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
To be fair, we do seem to do that...seemly according to a few on here, woods was shit, vokes was shit, Henderson was shit, and there have been more.

We are not a very tolerant bunch and assume we have every right to have players of premiership standard playing for us...when of course we can't afford them, can't afford their wages and finally can't keep any of them fit anyway.

Well said, gw. Agree 100%.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here