Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've Had the Call . . .

el punal

. . . from my daughter, asking me to take my grandson Harry, who is five, to his first Albion game. Now I know that there have been numerous threads on when you take the little 'uns to their first match, so, I have taken on board a lot of your advice regarding this.

What I propose to do is to wait until we get an FA Cup tie at home to lower league opponents (if it ever happens!) and transfer my allegiance from the heights of the West Upper to the East Stand Family section. (For this one match!).

Hopefully, this will break him in gently to the rigours of being a lifelong seagull fan. I take it that he will be able to meet Gully, and other child friendly activities take place to keep his interest going.

Once he's got used to the noise, the crowd and all else then it's upstairs to the WSU and the riff-raff that I have to put up with every home game! :lolol:

Anyway, do you reckon my suggestion is sound or do you have any ideas that you feel are worthwhile in getting Harry up and running? Look forward to your comments.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Rubbish.

Throw him in at the deep end like my Grandad did to me when I was 5 (1975). Just prewarn him about the noise and maybe show him some you tube clips with me and a few others singing.

Dont pee about get him down there.

Has the little lad tried out a non-league game yet? That's always a good introduction to the football spectating experience. 90 minutes is a long time to sit still and not move about. A match where he has the option of a bit of a run around from time to time might spare him from the experience of boredom that often overwhelms 5 year-olds.

I'd recommend a Lewes game at the Dripping Pan as a good first experience, but there must be similar opportunities in the Southampton area.

el punal

Has the little lad tried out a non-league game yet? That's always a good introduction to the football spectating experience. 90 minutes is a long time to sit still and not move about. A match where he has the option of a bit of a run around from time to time might spare him from the experience of boredom that often overwhelms 5 year-olds.

I'd recommend a Lewes game at the Dripping Pan as a good first experience, but there must be similar opportunities in the Southampton area.

Thanks, but he lives in Croydon! :eek:

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Rubbish.

Throw him in at the deep end like my Grandad did to me when I was 5 (1975). Just prewarn him about the noise and maybe show him some you tube clips with me and a few others singing.

Dont pee about get him down there.

1975! that was the start of when attending a football match at 5 years old became like a walk in the park! Now 1967 when kids had it hard....................

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
1975! that was the start of when attending a football match at 5 years old became like a walk in the park! Now 1967 when kids had it hard....................

It was a little difficult for me to attend then as I was -3

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
I did exactly this with my 6 yr old daughter last yr for the Newcastle game. She had a great day. Captivated for whole match next to north stand but in amongst other children. V sound move to approach his first game this way. I too am now hoping for a minnow at home in the fa cup to take her to her second game

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Take him to Chelsea - he'll love it. Then take him to the Amex next season and pretend it's where you went last time. Both teams play in blue and white so you might just get away with it being five year old. One team however is shit at the moment and you want to hook him for life, right?!

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
I will be interested to see the replies to this thread as this is something I've been pondering myself. I have a two year old and have been wondering, in years to come, what would be a suitable age to take her. I too thought that five was just about right as that was when I went to my first game in 1986 running around the East Terrace and standing on my stool. There has also been a number of five year olds and those of a similar age in the 1901 Club. Lots of families seem to use this as a platform on which to introduce them to first games.

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
Emily got checked in at 5 days old. It worked, she sat still & watched so much crap for the next 7 years! However, she said the F word at 20 months and liked to drink beer from about 6 months old.

It hasn't harmed her one bit, she's a gorgeous slim, blond 16 year old without a drink problem!

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Emily got checked in at 5 days old. It worked, she sat still & watched so much crap for the next 7 years! However, she said the F word at 20 months and liked to drink beer from about 6 months old.

It hasn't harmed her one bit, she's a gorgeous slim, blond 16 year old without a drink problem!

Oh what have you just started? How long before the "need pics" smiley makes an appearance?

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I would suggest that you wait until the child is 10 years of age, this is based on the children attending near me who go through the trauma of fright at the noise to the sheer boredom of having to sit still for a couple of hours.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

Plenty of time, plenty of time. Before you know it she'll be polite as **** and a god botherer.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Take him to Chelsea - he'll love it. Then take him to the Amex next season and pretend it's where you went last time. Both teams play in blue and white so you might just get away with it being five year old. One team however is shit at the moment and you want to hook him for life, right?!

Good grief!

How many have you drunk?

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I would suggest that you wait until the child is 10 years of age, this is based on the children attending near me who go through the trauma of fright at the noise to the sheer boredom of having to sit still for a couple of hours.

He wont thank you for depriving him of 5 years of Albion.

Get him in there and get on with it, he'll be shaving by the time he's nine.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here