Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Telling ither people's children off.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yesterday morning a teenager in the supermarket grabbed some crackers his mother had picked up and threw them back saying "You're not getting these Mum, you're the only one that likes them" Proper stroppy spoilt brat of about 15. I would normally stay well out but that really made my jaw drop. I couldn't help myself. I told him to respect and be pleasant to his Mum as she won't be around forever. They both apologised for some reason and sloped off. Anyway, the point being how would you react if someone told your child off? Is it right or wrong to interfere?

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yesterday morning a teenager in the supermarket grabbed some crackers his mother had picked up and threw them back saying "You're not getting these Mum, you're the only one that likes them" Proper stroppy spoilt brat of about 15. I would normally stay well out but that really made my jaw drop. I couldn't help myself. I told him to respect and be pleasant to his Mum as she won't be around forever. They both apologised for some reason and sloped off. Anyway, the point being how would you react if someone told your child off? Is it right or wrong to interfere?

He'll probably go home and beat the living daylights out of his mother now. Your fault.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I can see why it annoyed you but could argue you getting involved was just as rude as he was to his mum.

Unless my kids were swearing or being violent I'd be pretty pissed off if someone got involved.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
If someone told one off my children off for the way that they were interacting with me, I would politely ask them to butt out.

If I wasn't there, and somebody, again politely, told one of my children off for a justifiable reason, I might thank them. But I would reserve the right to decide if the reason was justified.

It's all about circumstances.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
He'll probably go home and beat the living daylights out of his mother now. Your fault.

Ha, nah, they were proper posh dandy's, there'll be no violence I'm sure. Just a spoilt little shit.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I wasn't nasty or aggressive, just a kind of word to the wise about Mum's not being around forever, almost Yoda like in it's tone.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
By telling other people's kids off, you are indirectly calling them bad parents. Which, if you have to tell their kids off, bearing in mind our Brit reservations at causing any kind of a fuss, they almost certainly are. Its never going to be a comfortable scene, but sometimes its for the greater good. There's some real trash parents out there. Which gives the kids a formidable mountain to climb to be non-trash.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
what sort of crackers were they?

I was on my treat shop, pickles, relish, cheese and crackers. I was comparing shop brand water biscuits to Carrs, she seemed to fancy a packet of some kind of chilli infused crackers. I actually bought a bag of them as I liked the look of them. Jacobs they are, I've yet to try them as they won't go with my Ploughman's relish but I will be trying later while Homeland is on. Personally I have rethought the chilli cracker thing, infused flavors are a poor substitute for the real thing, should have just got some fresh chillis but we'll see.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't be happy about someone butting in and saying the stuff I'm more than capable of doing.

However if they handed out a damn good thrashing, I'd lend them my belt :jester:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
By telling other people's kids off, you are indirectly calling them bad parents. Which, if you have to tell their kids off, bearing in mind our Brit reservations at causing any kind of a fuss, they almost certainly are. Its never going to be a comfortable scene, but sometimes its for the greater good. There's some real trash parents out there. Which gives the kids a formidable mountain to climb to be non-trash.

Well yes, I didn't even really think it through that much I just saw her looking beaten and close to tears and him in his ruddy cheeked pomp pushing his mother around. I really didn't tell him off as such I suppose, just a kind of "Come on lad, that's no way to speak to any woman let alone your Mum" way.

Oh well, done now. Maybe she'll assert herself in the future. Doubt it.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Nibble,

Personally, I'd kick off if my Mum chose chilli infused crackers. Work of the
Devil.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Nibble,

Personally, I'd kick off if my Mum chose chilli infused crackers. Work of the
Devil.

Yeah, I'm regretting the purchase myself. He was right. I've really messed up.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well yes, I didn't even really think it through that much I just saw her looking beaten and close to tears and him in his ruddy cheeked pomp pushing his mother around. I really didn't tell him off as such I suppose, just a kind of "Come on lad, that's no way to speak to any woman let alone your Mum" way.

Oh well, done now. Maybe she'll assert herself in the future. Doubt it.

Top man for at least trying :clap2:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I wasn't nasty or aggressive, just a kind of word to the wise about Mum's not being around forever, almost Yoda like in it's tone.

I don't think that's relevant. As others have said, if you step in it comes across as a criticism of the parents.

I'd have politely told you that I was the father, would you kindly piss off.

I was on my treat shop, pickles, relish, cheese and crackers. I was comparing shop brand water biscuits to Carrs, she seemed to fancy a packet of some kind of chilli infused crackers. I actually bought a bag of them as I liked the look of them. Jacobs they are, I've yet to try them as they won't go with my Ploughman's relish but I will be trying later while Homeland is on. Personally I have rethought the chilli cracker thing, infused flavors are a poor substitute for the real thing, should have just got some fresh chillis but we'll see.
Homeland? Would it be RUDE to suggest you watch By Any Means? At least you're not planning an evening in front of Downton Abbey. As for Carr's water biscuits ... I'd suggest you try out a packet of Rakusen's Matzos - a much better size for dealing with a good mix of pickle and cheese.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't think that's relevant. As others have said, if you step in it comes across as a criticism of the parents.

I'd have politely told you that I was the father, would you kindly piss off.

I doubt someone who can't even stand up to their child would be so assertive but I get your point. I actually agree with you, I never bother getting involved, I don't think it's my place and I don't think I was going to do any good it just for a split second made me want to say summat and before I knew it I had. Normally I'd just roll my eyes and keep my big nose out of it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here