Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone think we are REALLY missing Wayne bridge?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Looking at the games we have played this season, it seems to me that we are missing his attacking as well as providing a barrier in defence.

Last season, he was one of the most creative of players and a lot of the goals we scored came from his efforts.

It would be interesting to find out what City wanted as a fee and what sort of wages he would have settled for as I assume reading is the model we are aiming at replicating, ie new ground, wealthy owner etc..of course it may be that they bought him with the parachute payment they received. He certainly looked happy here and maybe the uncertainty over the manager situation worked against us.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Looking at the games we have played this season, it seems to me that we are missing his attacking as well as providing a barrier in defence.

Last season, he was one of the most creative of players and a lot of the goals we scored came from his efforts.

It would be interesting to find out what City wanted as a fee and what sort of wages he would have settled for as I assume reading is the model we are aiming at replicating, ie new ground, wealthy owner etc..of course it may be that they bought him with the parachute payment they received. He certainly looked happy here and maybe the uncertainty over the manager situation worked against us.
He was a free agent :(

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I think I read somewhere that he's on £25,000 a week at Reading. There's no way we could have afforded that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Didn't not andy naylor suggest Bridge was willing to come to us for less but we didn't even try to sign him?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
No. Yes he is better that Ward going forward, but I'd say Ward has been one of our best players so far. We're missing several key players and a system that the players are used to.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No. Yes he is better that Ward going forward, but I'd say Ward has been one of our best players so far. We're missing several key players and a system that the players are used to.

Really. It's a good job football is all about opinions! I personally think ward is not up to it at all!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I know this might sound too simplistic, but what if we hadn't signed so many central midfielders, surely we could have afford him that way?

Probably, but to have 1 player on 2-3 times as much as the rest of the higher earners in the first team squad is going to potentially cause problems in team harmony and future contact negotiations.

For the original question, yes we miss him - who wouldn't in this league - but not as much as we miss a fit Bridders or Ulloa.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think I read somewhere that he's on £25,000 a week at Reading. There's no way we could have afforded that.

If he was a free agent and therefore no signing fee, maybe £25k would not be out of reach. I have no idea of our finances.though, and what we can afford.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Really. It's a good job football is all about opinions! I personally think ward is not up to it at all!

I genuinely can't remember any big errors, where's I can for the rest of the back four. Besides, with the wages Bridge would demand and the amount of games he'd miss I think it was a correct decision not to resign him. But as you say it's all opinions!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes l think we are missing him, but l don't think we are REALLY missing him. Stephen Ward although not nearly as good when over overlapping down the left flank as Wayne Bridge, as still an assured enough and capable left-back in my opinion.

We have far more pressing problems elsewhere in the team, aka our total inability to finish off chances.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That is a colossal cock up, if true of course.

Just hunted down the post

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...-long-loan**&p=5887563&viewfull=1#post5887563
I wonder how much we're saving by not keeping Wayne Bridge. I'm told he's on £24k at Reading, but would have taken much less to stay with us. Was an offer ever made?

So I may have misremembered the comment and NAN was asking if we had, but at the time I may have taken it as a hint we hadn't.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
ANY team would miss Wayne Bridge.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Yes it would have been nice to keep Bridge. But Ward offers great value for money. Obviously not as good as Wyane, but good enough IMO. Our lack of attacking options is where I'm worried, looking significantly worse than last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here