Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoffenheim v Bayer Leverkusen AMAZING scenes

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
In fairness to the ref, if you were standing at a certain angle you could be fooled.

And he was!! :nono:

Yet the TV replay shows it quite clearly was the other side of the post. Don't they have goal line technology yet?

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Get me Oscar on the phone - I need him to take some scissors with him to Yeovil tomorrow!!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
They check the bottom is attached to the ground. Do they have enough time to check every hexagon/square/what-have-you? Bayer should offer to have the game replayed.

Watching that clip it looks as though it does enter the goal mouth under the net rather than through a hole? I'm in the north stand behind the goal, and watch the linos check our goal nets. They usually shake the net at the sides and back to see if there's any loose strands.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Hoffenheim.jpg
Watching that clip it looks as though it does enter the goal mouth under the net rather than through a hole? I'm in the north stand behind the goal, and watch the linos check our goal nets. They usually shake the net at the sides and back to see if there's any loose strands.

A downward trajectory would make it nigh on impossible for it to sneak in under the net.

It enters the goal almost half the way up. In all the years I've watched a lino check the net, it's always looking to see if it attached the the floor.

As the game is at Hoffenheim, I guess they have a duty of care to ensure that the goals are fit for purpose. If I were the owner of Bayer, I would offer a replay. Having said that, the officials presumably have a duty of care also.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Why would anyone consider a replay?

There's umpteen defenders and the goalkeeper staring at it and they didn't make a fuss. It's no different to a goal being given when a player is offside. The officials made a mistake, that's all.

Or is there an increasingly perverse value system where "he felt a touch and had a right to go down" (i.e. collapse in a desperate attempt to con an undeserved penalty) is OK but people have to hand back a freak non-goal that wasn't even spotted by anyone on the pitch?

Duty of care?

What happens if someone slips over in the pissing rain at Yeovil tomorrow and lets a goal in. Should the host club owe a duty of care to provide a dry pitch?

It's a game FFS.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You've listed human errors (live in play) and unfortunate conditions.

The issue, as I see it, is defective equipment that is the basis of the game.

With an offside, you could at least make a point that the player scored between the goalposts.

What next? Play cricket with two stumps? Rugby with a round ball? Fencing with chopsticks?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Amazing. Wouldn't happen in the Bundesliga - best league in the wor..oh.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
You've listed human errors (live in play) and unfortunate conditions.

The issue, as I see it, is defective equipment that is the basis of the game.

With an offside, you could at least make a point that the player scored between the goalposts.

What next? Play cricket with two stumps? Rugby with a round ball? Fencing with chopsticks?

And you listed defective equipment which was the responsibility of the home side, they lost the game and not just by that goal. The game was played with the right equipment, it was just not checked. So your cricket,ruby and fencing, where you play with the wrong equipment make no sense

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
The keeper knew he hadn't been beaten by the header, surely he's got enough brains to go and look to see how it got into the net, obviously via a hole and bring it to the ref/linos attention!?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here