Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why the .... would a young couple go to a harvester?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Every restaurant has it's place. Food snobbery is pretty ridiculous sometimes, if you can't be bothered to cook and you want a cheap no fuss meal and a couple of beers then harvester is perfect.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Same reason they'd go to a Wetherspoons. Same reason WE'D go to a Wetherspoons. Sometimes you just want a beer and a burger at a price you think you're not being ripped off for. Cheap, cheerful, no big deal :shrug:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I agree. Nowt wrong with a Harvester if you're not looking for Michelin starred chefs. Bit of reasonably priced grub, couple of drinks, blowie by bins, home for tea and toast. Perfick.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Free salad bar.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Every pub selling food has its place in the market and Harvester fill one such place, not the best but there are certainly many a lot worse. You know exactly what you will get for your money.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Unlimited bread rolls, white or brown

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I've just come out of a weatherspoons and a bloke fell over and stayed down absolutely paralytic! Good lad! You have to take advantage of their prices in these austere times!! Same for Harvester. Although for me to paraphrase the advert "have you ever been to a harvester before?" "Er, no. Thank god..."

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Every pub selling food has its place in the market and Harvester fill one such place, not the best but there are certainly many a lot worse. You know exactly what you will get for your money.

They are actually one of the few dining out success stories recently. The economic down turn has actually saved them, heading for the wall 5 years ago. Now expanding!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Fair do's it is a bit Lintern Travel Tavern but bring your big plate for the salad bar and you've got yourself a meal comparable in price and quality to that of a mid month trip to Morrisons or a lunch provided by say a respected but uninspired out of city conference centre. No, it's a perfectly acceptable choice for a young, courting couple.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
This reminds me of a young lad asking for a glass of Le Piat d'or with his girlfriend standing behind him at the bar of the Hove Park Tavern seemingly trying to impress. I pointed out politely that we only stocked house white or red.....

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Accept the salad bar has lots of grubby kids that have used their hands and dropped snot and sneezes into because their chav parents haven't taught them any manners. The only thing I would eat at harvester is deep fried. Kills all bugs. Hygiene control is what puts me off harvester because cheap end of the market attracts waynetter slobs who have no manners and think its acceptable to use their hands and put things back!! Yuk! It might happen behind the kitchen doors in more upmarket places but I can't see it happening in front of me!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Me and my wife had our second date in harvester. Needs must - we were both skint and 21 years later we are still together happily married!

Probably THE most expensive visit to a harvester ever then?!! I rest my case, the argument against going is surely won?! ;)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm not entirely sure when the Harvester popped up, but I seem to remember that they served good quality food in the late 80s, early 90s. I used to share a Combine Harvester with my sister. Haven't been back for nearly two decades, so I assume it has worsened.

When did you last go, Rev?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
is there half the post missing? whats wrong with Harvesters? decent food, decent prices. its not fine dining, but then thats not for everyone.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here