Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Favourite film of the year - so far.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Seen a lot recently. Captain Phillips knocks everything I have seen into a cocked hat. Hanks is amazing and the last scene with post traumatic stress is one of the greatest scenes of acting I have ever seen. Hanks knocks this one out of the Park. Abdi is also superb. It is a brilliant film and I would give it 8.7. Only Elysium comes anywhere near this one as I loved that as well 8.1.

I think this may change when Gravity comes out.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Only seen 1 - Rush. Thought it was excellent. Would give it 8.3

The critics are raving about Gravity so I'll have to make sure I see that.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Brought side effects, still to watch.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
2 Guns 6.8
Alan Partridge 7.6
Elysium 8.1
Blue Jasmine 7.7
Summer in February 7.5
Captain Phillips 8.7

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I bloody well loved the Star Trek film and I don't like that sort of thing. I wish I'd seen it at the pictures. Great fun.

I thought the Planet of the Apes movie a year or two back was top notch as well.

(This from someone who believes "There Will Be Blood" to be the greatest movie of the 21st century)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Seen a lot recently. Captain Phillips knocks everything I have seen into a cocked hat. Hanks is amazing and the last scene with post traumatic stress is one of the greatest scenes of acting I have ever seen. Hanks knocks this one out of the Park. Abdi is also superb. It is a brilliant film and I would give it 8.7. Only Elysium comes anywhere near this one as I loved that as well 8.1.

I think this may change when Gravity comes out.

Off to see Captain Phillips on Sunday. Very much looking forward to it. I rate Hanks. I know it will be well acted, well crafted by Greengrass, probably a bit of unwelcome sentimentality but I anticipate the good outweighing the bad . Gravity looks cracking. I am even prepared to put aside my hatred for all things Bullock and go to the big screen for this. Though I have reservations as Sandra Bullock's peril acting is rather cringeworthy and I anticipate high peril on this one. Clooney can be great but can also be a smug get but the premise looks strong enough to carry these two medium talents.
Elysium looks awful.

Best film so far? Diana or Out OF The Furnace. Christian Bale, Casey Affleck, Woody Harrelson, Forrest Whitakker, some bird.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Off to see Captain Phillips on Sunday. Very much looking forward to it. I rate Hanks. I know it will be well acted, well crafted by Greengrass, probably a bit of unwelcome sentimentality but I anticipate the good outweighing the bad . Gravity looks cracking. I am even prepared to put aside my hatred for all things Bullock and go to the big screen for this. Though I have reservations as Sandra Bullock's peril acting is rather cringeworthy and I anticipate high peril on this one. Clooney can be great but can also be a smug get but the premise looks strong enough to carry these two medium talents.

Elysium looks awful.

Best film so far? Diana or Out OF The Furnace. Christian Bale, Casey Affleck, Woody

Harrelson, Forrest Whitakker, some bird.

Hanks absolutely nailed this one mate. As I said the end scene was acting of the highest possible quality. Knocked me for six. The film was just superb.
Elysium was excellent as well.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Bullock is ok, speed was good, agree she has not done anything amazing and the Oscar she won was for a fairly average film. Clooney however is the mutts nuts.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Hanks absolutely nailed this one mate. As I said the end scene was acting of the highest possible quality. Knocked me for six. The film was just superb.
Elysium was excellent as well.

Cool, looking forward to it. Elysium prob is good, Damon is value but nothing about that film made me want to see it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bullock is ok, speed was good, agree she has not done anything amazing and the Oscar she won was for a fairly average film. Clooney however is the mutts nuts.

Clooney can be terrific but I can only handle one of his films per year as he acts the exact same in every film and if I see that tilt of the head, the smirk and the simultaneous exhale followed by "Hmm" too often I cry.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cool, looking forward to it. Elysium prob is good, Damon is value but nothing about that film made me want to see it.

It was very good. Better than District 9 for me. Clooney is Clooney, a very good actor.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Not a new film this year but I saw the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) a few days ago.

The best horror film I have ever seen. Unexpected sick bits like the self-harming nutter with the knife, the girl in the freezer still alive and the victim regaining consciousness round the dinner table eating human remains with some of the scariest looking monsters (the 'dead' old person with the hammer is probably the most disturbing scene I've ever watched) and for a hardened horror movie addict like me it's bloody terrifying. :ohmy:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I wasn't that taken with District 9. Was entertaining for first half but pretty mediocre/boring for second half. Don't know what all the furore was over.

Sep 4, 2012
Brighton
Can't wait for Gravity. Apparently it is well worth seeing in 3D and you can't say that for many films. Not a recent film by any means but saw Eyes wide shut the other day, thought it was brilliant. Had never bothered with it before as heard it was pretty poor and I'm not a great fan of Cruise but couldn't fault it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here