Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manchester United to consider return of standing areas at Old Trafford

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Manchester United have agreed to investigate the viability of introducing a safe-standing area at Old Trafford – a move which could potentially deliver major impetus to the campaign for an alternative to seats for fans in the Premier League.

United have always opposed the introduction of safe standing on the grounds that their stadium is not equipped for it and legislation would be needed to make it possible.

But The Independent understands that the club's new chief executive, Ed Woodward, expressed a willingness to explore the idea when supporters' representatives put it to him at a recent fans' forum. With Woodward's experience of standing at Chelmsford City, in his native Essex, being a contributing factor, the Premier League champions have now agreed to look at the logistics of altering the Old Trafford infrastructure to accommodate the increased number of supporters that a safe-standing area might bring.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...f-standing-areas-at-old-trafford-8887626.html

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Thats Zaha and Nani bolloxed then

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is all about money, its all about bums not on seats.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
It will be a bit of a challenge I would have thought. With all of the extra seating they've added at Old Trafford since 1992, it makes the gangways very narrow in each aisle there and so I'd have thought they wouldn't get that idea through the Health and Safety compliance regulations.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Mind you, if a big club like ManU do it, it can only be good news for others???

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Great news - regardless of the motives - and I hope they can prove that it can be done safely.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
To do it safely , or at least to the standards that will be required , will take away the very essence of what made the terraces special , tightly packed ,swaying , surging , you really think they'd allow that or deem it safe .? Nope, nor do I , so what you're left with is a load of people with adequate room standing watching a game of football , with the same atmosphere but none of the comfort of seating , the demographic that goes to football now is the reason for the change/lack of atmosphere , not the absence of terracing.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
To do it safely , or at least to the standards that will be required , will take away the very essence of what made the terraces special , tightly packed ,swaying , surging , you really think they'd allow that or deem it safe .? Nope, nor do I , so what you're left with is a load of people with adequate room standing watching a game of football , with the same atmosphere but none of the comfort of seating , the demographic that goes to football now is the reason for the change/lack of atmosphere , not the absence of terracing.

Dortmund? Or Infact any German club with safe standing, flies in the face of what you say.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Whilst terraces will never return in there old format safe standing might help save the dying atmospheres around the country. Having visited Old Trafford last month I honestly couldn't believe how quiet the place was, Utter embarrassment with 70k+ there. Hope it happens at OT and then the rest of us can follow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here