Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any HR bods here?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A friend (no really) has had a bit of time off sick from work, signed off by a doctor, a few months later after they had returned had 1.5 days sick, when returning they were told by their manager they would receive 0 pay for this 1.5 day. When they checked their employee handbook, it states employees will receive 50% of pay, if x amount of sickness is taken in a calendar year.

They have taken this up with HR, who say it is up to a managers discretion, but no mention of this in employee handbook. Thoughts?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The employee handbook forms part of the contract - if it says 50% pay then that's what they HAVE to pay. Manager "desecration" leaves the company open to a discrimination claim. HR in this case are wrong.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The employee handbook forms part of the contract - if it says 50% pay then that's what they HAVE to pay. Manager "desecration" leaves the company open to a discrimination claim. HR in this case are wrong.

Thought as much. Thank you

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've just been sent this taken from said handbook:

'The organisation reserves the right to withhold payment of full or part salary during any period of absence if it is not reasonably satisfied that the employee was incapable of any work when absent or where the employee is in the formal stages of the attendance management procedure.'

D

Deleted User X18H

Where do you work.......................I mean where does your friend work?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Where do you work.......................I mean where does your friend work?

Not me sir ! Not had a day off sick in 7 years at my place. Not going to say, obviously.

D

Deleted User X18H

Not me sir ! Not had a day off sick in 7 years at my place. Not going to say, obviously.

I'll go for EDF or D&G. However what is stated in the company hand book forms part of the employment contract. Remember it's not the 80's

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I've just been sent this taken from said handbook:

'The organisation reserves the right to withhold payment of full or part salary during any period of absence if it is not reasonably satisfied that the employee was incapable of any work when absent or where the employee is in the formal stages of the attendance management procedure.'

So has your friends manager said that he believes your friend was capable of work while off sick ? If no then they should pay. If so then the manager should make clear why he / she believes this.

Depending upon how many waves your friend wants to make I'd suggest going doing the formal grievance route.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So has your friends manager said that he believes your friend was capable of work while off sick ? If no then they should pay. If so then the manager should make clear why he / she believes this.

Depending upon how many waves your friend wants to make I'd suggest going doing the formal grievance route.

I'd wager it's more likely that as a result of previous signed off absence that they are in the formal stages of the absence management proceedure. If this is the case then they are out of luck I'm afraid.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd wager it's more likely that as a result of previous signed off absence that they are in the formal stages of the absence management proceedure. If this is the case then they are out of luck I'm afraid.

Would they have to be told that?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

No reasons, was just told after their return they wouldn't be.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
No reasons, was just told after their return they wouldn't be.

On the assumption he / she isn't in the absence management procedure then the company and manager have broken the contract. Formal grievance time.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

I agree , coming back from a long term sick absence will put the employee on the road to absence control and disciplinary procedures.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I agree , coming back from a long term sick absence will put the employee on the road to absence control and disciplinary procedures.

They are not aware they are on absence management or whatever.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
once i asked HR how many "paid sick day i had left for the year".....they said i couldn't ask such questions, i demanded to know......they told me......then i used them wisely ;-)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
How the other half lives. Sick pay is still just a dream for millions.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here