Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Cole thinks we can... *sigh*

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So what? Just one bloke's (incorrect) view. Doesn't actually change anything, and shouldn't raise expectations for anyone.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So what? Just one bloke's (incorrect) view. Doesn't actually change anything, and shouldn't raise expectations for anyone.
I'm not sighing at the fact Cole has said it. I'm sighing that the BBC think it's worth reporting, because we will all be accused of having ridiculous expectations by association.

Had Cole said what any number of other football celebs might say in similar circumstances i.e. "anything beyond last 8 would be a bonus", they wouldn't have printed it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Technically he's correct.

We can win it.

We more than likely won't, but 31 other teams also wont.
Yes, but that in itself isn't newsworthy, so why bother printing it? If the captain of New Zealand's 2010 squad said the same thing, would that be splattered all over their news? Probably not.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Press: Do you think we can win the world cup?

Cole has two options. He says 'yes' and gives the press what they want, and they can print the story they've basically got already written. He says 'no' and we get three days of lazy headlines along the lines of ''COLE SAYS ENGLAND WILL NEVER LIFT WC'', ''IS LACK OF BELIEF HOLDING BACK ENGLAND STARS?''.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Cole has two options. He says 'yes' and gives the press what they want, and they can print the story they've basically got already written. He says 'no' and we get three days of lazy headlines along the lines of ''COLE SAYS ENGLAND WILL NEVER LIFT WC''.
Absolute rubbish. He says "no" and the press move onto actual NEWS.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

:lolol: You are joking? There isn't news so they print opinion. Look at any red top newspaper, half of what's in there isn't really newsworthy, and the stuff that is reads like a twelve year olds homework.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Cole has two options. He says 'yes' and gives the press what they want, and they can print the story they've basically got already written. He says 'no' and we get three days of lazy headlines along the lines of ''COLE SAYS ENGLAND WILL NEVER LIFT WC'', ''IS LACK OF BELIEF HOLDING BACK ENGLAND STARS?''.

This I would like to see...

Cole: Only if I get picked. NEXT?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Surely the crucial factor here is that he thinks he can still get back in the squad and go to Brazil. Therefore he HAS to say England can win it. If he says they can't his hopes are over, as Roy is never going to pick any player who would be going to a tournament they think they can't win. It's no different to asking Gerrard, Rooney or Lampard - they'd all say we can win it in public, even if they don't truly believe it.

Is exactly the right answer.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Exactly. Don't buy these useless papers.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/joey-barton-slams-englands-world-2459520

Joey Barton said no to our chances of winning the world cup. In fact, here's his quote

"Lets forget Brazil. We will never win it. The fact that there are 6/7 sides better and the climate is against us, condemns us to that."

The headline reads "Joey Barton SLAMS England's world cup chances".
Boom!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Hodgson gacve the best answer to this question which is stranger things have happened, ie. Greece winning the Euro Cup.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think there ought to be a difference between a cack popularist red top and the BBC, personally.

If Cole had said we haven't got a realistic chance, I'm not sure the BBC would have screamed "Cole slams England chances", I think (hope) they'd have moved on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here