Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Ince ban details NSFW

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The respect campaign, can not, and will not ever work, all the time you have shockingly bad refereeing discussions, that the referees do not have to answer to. Anyone else makes a mistake, they hold their hands up and say "sorry I was wrong", but not referees, and they want us to respect that!!!!!

I don't see showing someone respect, and that person making correct decisions need to be linked. I think you are just looking for a justification for showing disrespect.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Well, what a delightfully pleasant man he appears to be.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
And of course we have to take the referees report "Politely asked" and "violently shoved" and "repeatedly shouting" as fact then, as we are not allowed to doubt anything they say or do, and the ref is always right, even if TV evidence proves they are not!

I agree, but wait for.....

But what about Rugby......

****ing hate that argument! They are completely different sports! In rugby you can have a massive brawl and the worst that usually happens is one maybe two of them get sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes (or however long it is). Rugger Buggers seem to think that is an acceptable way to behave yet go nuts when they see a footballer calling the ref a whatever because they still have to call theirs sir!

If it was the case of being called a **** or getting a smack in the chops I know which one I'd prefer.

I'm not defending either but for flip sake get your own house in order before you start bleating about mine!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I don't see showing someone respect, and that person making correct decisions need to be linked. I think you are just looking for a justification for showing disrespect.
You are so far off the point I am making its funny.

If referees admitted and explained or even apologised for their mistakes, they'd have instant respect.

If you go to a referee and ask him to explain something that you KNOW he has got wrong, and you are told to go away or shut up, then how can you seriously respect that person.

If you go to a referee and ask him to explain something that you KNOW he has got wrong, and he says, well I saw it like this, or I'm sorry, I got that wrong, than you cannot have anything but respect for him. How can you argue with that?

But referees DEMAND respect. I've always been taught, and will tell people you have EARN it. Referees and their bosses, don't seem to want to earn it, they just demand it, and in my opinion anyone that demands respects, isn't worthy of it.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

****ing hate that argument! They are completely different sports! In rugby you can have a massive brawl and the worst that usually happens is one maybe two of them get sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes (or however long it is). Rugger Buggers seem to think that is an acceptable way to behave yet go nuts when they see a footballer calling the ref a whatever because they still have to call theirs sir!

If it was the case of being called a **** or getting a smack in the chops I know which one I'd prefer.

I'm not defending either but for flip sake get your own house in order before you start bleating about mine!
I know you are having an argument with nobody yet, but one thing you do raise, "when they see a footballer calling the ref a whatever because they still have to call theirs sir". Well in football there is a rule that goes along the lines of foul and abusive language, which is a straight red card. Although referees are demanding respect, not many of them seem interested in stamping this out, as rarely do you see a player on TV call the ref a wanker or prick or whatever sent off. SO how can refs ban managers for going overboard at them, when they can even keep to the rules in the first place!

And before anyone says we'd even up with 5 a side..... no we won't. It would take one or two weeks to sorts out. But the reason it never will be, is the referees across the board do not keep to the rules.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
When I was reffing youth matches not so long ago, I was called worse. Goes hand in hand with the very nature of the game and the people who play / support it. Sad really.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
When I was reffing youth matches not so long ago, I was called worse. Goes hand in hand with the very nature of the game and the people who play / support it. Sad really.
If you are an FA ref, you will find these little pieces of card in your pocket. Get called a w***** c*** or something similar, you wave the piece of card coloured red in the face of whoever said it, and you will soon find the others will refrain from using those words. Agreed it would help if the FA grew a pair and insisted other member of the reffing world also followed the rules, but until they do, IMO they can shove their respect campaign firmly where the sun don't shine

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Couldn't the fourth official have asked 'The Gov'nor' Ince to take an important penalty.

He'd have instantly sat down with his back to him.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

But nobody was mentioning rugby, except you. Seems you have an axe to grind.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
But referees DEMAND respect. I've always been taught, and will tell people you have EARN it. Referees and their bosses, don't seem to want to earn it, they just demand it, and in my opinion anyone that demands respects, isn't worthy of it.

So, Saturday morning, you take your little lad, maybe 8 or 9 years old, along to the match. Your instruction to him is that the referee does not get his respect until he has EARNED it? Until the ref has done something that in your World wins the respect of your lad, then you do not expect him to show the ref any.

Personally, I try to show EVERYONE respect, until they do something to lose it. And even then, there is a still a way to conduct yourself around them, which is a country mile away from how Ince behaved.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So, Saturday morning, you take your little lad, maybe 8 or 9 years old, along to the match. Your instruction to him is that the referee does not get his respect until he has EARNED it? Until the ref has done something that in your World wins the respect of your lad, then you do not expect him to show the ref any.

Personally, I try to show EVERYONE respect, until they do something to lose it. And even then, there is a still a way to conduct yourself around them, which is a country mile away from how Ince behaved.

Spot on.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
But nobody was mentioning rugby, except you.

No they didn't but it was coming. Always does.

Seems you have an axe to grind.

Not really, I quite like rugby, won't for a second claim to understand it. I even once went to "Twickers" with Bozza, both of us sat there without the foggiest of ideas of what was going on but we got casually pissed and I won a few quid on the shirt numbers so it was most enjoyable!

Just hate sport Nazis that won't hear a bad word against their sport and will constantly point out the bad points of others which allot rugby fans seem to be.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The respect campaign, can not, and will not ever work, all the time you have shockingly bad refereeing discussions, that the referees do not have to answer to. Anyone else makes a mistake, they hold their hands up and say "sorry I was wrong", but not referees, and they want us to respect that!!!!!

You are so far off the point he is making that it's funny.

In a perfect world it would be easy to be respectful. The challenge is to demonstrate restraint in the face of what you believe is an injustice commited by a match official. Don't cop out and put the onus on someone else. We all find refereeing decisions bizarre at times, it's all down to us as individuals to regulate our own reactions.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

No, again you are just looking for an argument. They should show the referees total respect, each individual ref doesn't need to earn respect with each individual player, but then you know that, but it doesn't help your cause to take a different view.

Any 8 or 9 year old should be taught to respect everyone. If I took an 8 or 9 year old to a game and he was disrespectful to the ref, I would make an issue of it so he knows not to do it again.

But I don't think Ince was at a 8 or 9 year olds game was he. We are taking mens football here, so forget about trying to make a pointless comment about childrens football, and take my same point with senior football.

If referees did their job, and applied the laws of the game, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Referees by the laws of game should send a player of for using foul and abusive langague. The same way that if a defending team kicks into touch, the oppostion restarts the game with a throw in or corner. Its black and white. All the time referees "choose" not to apply that law and allow players to swear at them calling them all sorts, then I stand by what I say. Stick their respect campaign up their arses. If you are going to allow players and manager to call you a **** or a w****** and do nothing to stop it, even though the rules states you SHOULD stop it, don't then piss and whine when a manager or player goes over the top now and again.

Last edited:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
You are so far off the point he is making that it's funny.

In a perfect world it would be easy to be respectful. The challenge is to demonstrate restraint in the face of what you believe is an injustice commited by a match official. Don't cop out and put the onus on someone else. We all find refereeing decisions bizarre at times, it's all down to us as individuals to regulate our own reactions.
Disagree. THere seems to be more and more bizarre decisions every week. The situation is not improving. Referees in most cases are not approachable. Whether its down to the referees themselves or the idiots that are in charge of them, I don't know, but I cannot respect someone who makes shocking decisions (taking about those proved on TV not just fans opinions), yet does not have to give a reason for it or answer for it. I cannot respect someone who moans that they are getting verbal abuse, whilst at the same time, not applying the laws of the game in a way that if done across the board, would wipe out the abuse and stick the referee take every week.

How can you respect them when they ban a manager for swearing at them (do we really think Ince said that") yet CHOOSE to IGNORE the laws of the game, and not send a player of for swearing at them.

If they tried to help themselves, I'd respect them 100%, and would give them respect they want.

If they want to demand respect, yet not attempt to help themselves to earn it by applying the laws of the game, then they get as much respect as I feel they deserve, ie **** all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Open up that site bbc sporf. And go to home.....scroll down and look at andros Townsend's chip in a training session!
Couldn't find it. Can't you just post a link?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but is football the sport that we see most disent against officials decisions?
Compare to other mainstream team sports, Rugby, Cricket, Hockey, Netball, Vollyball - why is it that players of football feel the need to show such disent to their officials?

Sure officials get it wrong sometimes, but at the highest level in Rugby and Cricket, the officials are helped out with the benefit of TV replays. Will spoil football if it goes that way but how else do you shut the moaners up? I know people say it will slow the game down if its interrupted - well do what F1 does, review while the game goes on and if X did dive rather than was tripped, radio the message to the referee and he can send him off soon as the ball goes dead [if in the box, will have to wait 60 seconds before awarding penalty or free kick]. If review is done after the game [lesser / missed offences] and is found out, ban for 3 games. We have the technology, lets use it.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
The self-proclaimed "Guv'nor". You just don't give yourself a nickname, it happens organically. For this reason he has always come across as a cheesy bell-end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here