Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we have closer links with crawley?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I don't have a problem with it and it could help both clubs.

I honestly don't think we're competing for the same customers. There are no cultural or historical links between Crawley and the rest of Sussex ... and the football experience is entirely different. They'll always be Port Vale to our, er, Stoke City.

And before anyone says something like "Crawley is in Sussex, you tool" - yes, I know, but it's essentially a new town built to accommodate London overspill. It's not like other towns in the county that grew up organically.

i don't have a problem with it and it could help both clubs.

I honestly don't think we're competing for the same customers. There are no cultural or historical links between crawley and the rest of sussex ... And the football experience is entirely different. They'll always be port vale to our, er, stoke city.

And before anyone says something like "crawley is in sussex, you tool" - yes, i know, but it's essentially a new town built to accommodate london overspill. It's not like other towns in the county that grew up organically.

If we got relegated and they got promoted would middle sussex be tempted to switch,plenty who have trundled along to the amex just recently????

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I have no objection to us loaning them players that we want to keep an eye on, but that is it. I'm old enough to remember when we played them and I hate them almost as much as Palace, well the town anyway...

6k of proper lairy wankers, who fortunately got what they deserved both on and off the pitch!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I honestly don't think we're competing for the same customers. There are no cultural or historical links between Crawley and the rest of Sussex ... and the football experience is entirely different. They'll always be Port Vale to our, er, Stoke City.

And before anyone says something like "Crawley is in Sussex, you tool" - yes, I know, but it's essentially a new town built to accommodate London overspill. It's not like other towns in the county that grew up organically.

Some of Crawley is relatively new but it merged some villages that have been there for centuries. Some were there before Brighton existed.

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If we got relegated and they got promoted would middle sussex be tempted to switch,plenty who have trundled along to the amex just recently????

Crawley will never really establish themselves and I think only really appeal to the locals who can't be bothered to travel to Brighton or Croydon.

If some benefactor came along with the tens of millions to build a new stadium and really get them going then they could definitely build a decent support base, but will never happen

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yeah why not...Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday really love eachother!

FFS Rory

**** em, bunch of pseudo palace scum

crawley will never really establish themselves and i think only really appeal to the locals who can't be bothered to travel to brighton or croydon.

If some benefactor came along with the tens of millions to build a new stadium and really get them going then they could definitely build a decent support base, but will never happen

i know of brighton fans buying s/t at for wimbledon at selhurst a few years back,the north of sussex has a population the size of brighton,certainly worth a few bob to us if we ever hit the prem.I think we should throw them out of the nest why they are young,why help them to grow and compete???

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I can see the benefits of loaning players - they get a decent standard of football (league 1, i mean) and it doesn't mean the player having to up sticks or stay in a hotel/rent for the duration of their loan away; then can stay based where they are and commute there.

I wouldn't have a problem if it benefits the player. I'd rather a team that is no threat to us than a league rival or Palace.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
They would have rather us die as a club than offer a (money spinner for them) ground share to us in our times of need. NEVER forget this

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Don't they play home games on different days to us so they can get brighton fans in who want to watch football without traveling far? I do t think they are a rival to us in this instance.

I do however think that times are gone where they would happily snap up our players that get released or let go. Are there any ex-Brighton playing for them or in their squad now?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Don't they play home games on different days to us so they can get brighton fans in who want to watch football without traveling far? I do t think they are a rival to us in this instance.

I do however think that times are gone where they would happily snap up our players that get released or let go. Are there any ex-Brighton playing for them or in their squad now?

Not currently that i'm aware of, but didn't Sparrow spend some time with them...or am i imagining things?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Loyalty to Brighton runs through the generations, in towns and villages across most of Sussex (though I would say not in Crawley). The Amex has drawn many lapsed fans back and re-energised dormant ones.

I really don't think Crawley Town have this kind of catchment. There are about 100,000 people in the town and I suspect you'll never get more than about 5% of them going to the club regularly. Good luck to them.

If you live in Henfield, Haywards Heath, East Grinstead etc are you more likely to gravitate to Brighton or Crawley (assuming you're not already a Chelsea/Man U/Liverpool fan watching Sky)? I just don't see Crawley as any kind of threat to our supporter base, even if the unthinkable happened and they got into the Championship and we went down to League 1. I couldn't stand the club in the Majeed/Steve Evans times but these days I just think, good on you, and good luck Richie Barker.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Yes I am with Vegas Seagull on this one ......bad times where we certainly found out who our friends were !!!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Crawley will never really establish themselves and I think only really appeal to the locals who can't be bothered to travel to Brighton or Croydon.

Yes as someone who saw Headington change to Oxford United, climb the league ladder under Maxwell to the First Division then slump al the way back again to non-league, folowed by Cambridge who got to the Second before they collapsed as well, I do wonder if Crawley can sustain themselves longterm. MK Dons are different I think. A lot of other non-leaguers have come and gone, Maidstone being the nearest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here