Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm a compulsive gambler.

1066gull

I may come back to this thread through time to time. Anyone else is welcome to use this thread to offer support and ask for help as well.

As an old regular of this forum I find it important for myself to let you know. I've been a compulsive gambler for seven years. My first bet was when I was 11 but it wasn't when I was 17 when I started. Now 24 I have come to accept I have a huge problem. I've gone the longest without a gamble since I started all those years ago, almost 6 months until last week. I don't know what triggered it as I've been through a lot worse and have been attending GA meetings supporting others quite regularly. Football is a huge problem for me as gambling is heavily influenced from it which is why I never go to matches anymore. But anyway today is the first day on the path to the first 90 days again. I'm 1066 and I'm a compulsive gambler.

Day 1

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
I'm nobody to talk about addictions but gambling is just about the only one I don't do. I spent years as a kid sitting outside bookies on a Saturday for hours waiting for my dad and brother to come out. Both had breakdowns one lost two houses, so take it from me stick to your guns and don't bother.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
hope you beat it,i had huge problems when a student with the fruit machines,but have to say i dont understand why this stops you attending football matches.
i can understand not going to the dogs or the races for not wanting to have a bet but surely the temptation is not the same for going to watch the Albion.
i dont mean to be rude but what obstacles are in place for you to go and watch the albion bet free?

anyway good luck with it

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Its an easy addiction to get into. I do enjoy a bet here and there but as I win a few I find myself betting more and more. I have not bet for sometime now and intend to keep it that way. Best of luck with it and as said above. Stick to your guns...its not worth it!

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
Good luck 1066, you should unsubscribe from all junk gambling emails and texts, close down all internet sites you may have and get rid of your smartphone and replace it with a shit phone that takes too long to access the internet. With these easy temptations removed you hopefully will have the will power to avoid the high street bookies. Going a step further, only watch sport on BBC, as all other channels have bookie ad breaks. I enjoy a bet but spent two months in the States earlier this year and without access to the internet, managed to lose interest in the dogs and horses.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Keep yourself busy, you'll be less likely to think about gambling. Hard work can help a lot of problems. A lot of people just have too much spare time and nothing to fill it.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
My former partner had a severe gambling addiction - good luck, I know how hard it is.

You can get software which blocks access to gambling websites http://www.gamblock.com

Also go the bookies and self-block yourself, so they won't serve you.

He went to a residential clinic called Gordon House, I think it is free, and you go there for several months http://www.gordonmoody.org.uk/Default.aspx.html they are very good.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My dad had a Saturday job in a bookies and would talk about punters who would gamble their entire pay packets away - gambling can be so destructive.

Hope you manage to stay away from temptation and follow some good advice on this thread. NSC is pretty supportive when it comes to problems like this - you'll find plenty of people on here to help you through it.

Good luck with your fight

Keep yourself busy, you'll be less likely to think about gambling. Hard work can help a lot of problems. A lot of people just have too much spare time and nothing to fill it.

If you have an addictive personality try turning towards keep fit and you may benefit in more ways than one,would be great if you could up date us on say your running progress rather than the gambling addiction,good luck stay strong and don't let us down:thumbsup:

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
I may come back to this thread through time to time. Anyone else is welcome to use this thread to offer support and ask for help as well.

As an old regular of this forum I find it important for myself to let you know. I've been a compulsive gambler for seven years. My first bet was when I was 11 but it wasn't when I was 17 when I started. Now 24 I have come to accept I have a huge problem. I've gone the longest without a gamble since I started all those years ago, almost 6 months until last week. I don't know what triggered it as I've been through a lot worse and have been attending GA meetings supporting others quite regularly. Football is a huge problem for me as gambling is heavily influenced from it which is why I never go to matches anymore. But anyway today is the first day on the path to the first 90 days again. I'm 1066 and I'm a compulsive gambler.

Day 1

Bet you a tenner you can kick the habit.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You can kick it, 1066. Day 291 for me - not a single bet of any kind in 2013. Find other things to do with your time and focus on everything else. Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask for help.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Day 1

£10 says you don't last the week.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
it's all about that bolt of excitement and "the unknown" -take up a hobby / sport / women that fills these sensations.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
If you have an addictive personality try turning towards keep fit and you may benefit in more ways than one,would be great if you could up date us on say your running progress rather than the gambling addiction,good luck stay strong and don't let us down :thumbsup:

Really good advice.

Get on the 5K Park Runs and set yourself targets.

I gambled for 2 years and got into fairly bad debt, mostly on the Roulette scam. There's no big win in gambling, you'll never walk out a winner in the long run. Cut your losses and save your hard earned.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The fact you're able to declare your desire to kick the habit is a sign that you can beat this. The more you can say this kind of thing out loud, in front of friends and loved ones, the more faith you'll have in yourself. But I suspect you're right to take it a day at a time.

Gambling used to take a bit of effort, but these days it's so easy to bet huge sums without even getting out of your armchair. And the marketing is all-pervasive. I reckon we're going to have a serious gambling problem in this country before long, and may have already.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham

Day 1

Sorry mate but if I am being completely honest, with all the shit that is happening in the world and all the incurable illnesses that some kids get, I'm finding it really hard having much sympathy for you. I do regret that you don't go to matches any more though and I do wish you well as a fellow NSCer.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
If you have an addictive personality try turning towards keep fit and you may benefit in more ways than one,would be great if you could up date us on say your running progress rather than the gambling addiction,good luck stay strong and don't let us down:thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more. I lost close to a £100k a few hears ago, so started running and going to the gym. It also had the added bonus of being able to say to people I had lost 2 stone because of exersise, and not from the stress of losing so much!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here