Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£20 tickets for away fans (in the Premier League)...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A massive 'Well done!' to Newcastle, West Brom, Hull and Swansea who have led the way and agreed to sell away tickets for £20 (to each of the other clubs agreeing to do the same).

It will be interesting to see if this cascades around other clubs now - there will certainly be pressure to do so.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
brilliant idea, if only all clubs would do this...then the next problem is to tackle prices for home fans!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That's excellent value. That's how much football should cost.

Are we on the verge of seeing football changing for the better?

I can't see how it is ever going to right itself with many hundreds of players tied to long and expensive contracts.

It's workable if one stays in the Premier League cash cow.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
A massive 'Well done!' to Newcastle, West Brom, Hull and Swansea who have led the way and agreed to sell away tickets for £20 (to each of the other clubs agreeing to do the same).

It will be interesting to see if this cascades around other clubs now - there will certainly be pressure to do so.

Most of those clubs listed have poor travelling support. Do bigger teams really need to lower the price since there is a huge demand?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
If I recall correctly Stoke also offer free coach travel to all away games for traveling supporters.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Whilst I'm not 100% sure I think it was some sort of initiative where each PL team has agreed to spend 250k on making things easier for away fans in some way, the hows and whens were left to the clubs.

Some have gone for the £20 away games with each other, others free coach travel to games/the season...it's a good idea really.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
THe founder of the scheme was on the radio this morning saying "the premier league really should just have ordered all clubs to slash their prices by 50%". You'd have thought it was Ed Miliband if he didn't have a thick Welsh accent.

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
Story from the BBC website today:

Premier League clubs to introduce reciprocal price deals for away fans

A number of Premier League clubs are introducing reciprocal deals to reduce the price of tickets for away fans.
Newcastle United have agreed deals with West Bromwich Albion and Swansea City, while the Welsh club have a further agreement in place with Hull City.
Magpies finance director John Irving said: "We believe the right way to encourage people to attend is to look at charging reasonable prices."

Premier League clubs were each given £200,000 to subsidise travelling fans.
Swansea fans will pay a reduced price of £20 for adults and £5 for concessions at Hull and Newcastle, with the same prices in place for the return fixtures at the Liberty Stadium.
Travelling supporters from Newcastle and West Brom will both pay £15 for adults and £5 for concessions when their teams face each other.
Swansea vice-chairman Leigh Dineen hopes more agreements can be made.
"I'm glad to see that things have slowly started to gather pace," he said.
"We are in constant dialogue with other clubs in the Premier League and hope to announce additional reciprocal deals over the course of the campaign.
"We are determined to help keep the costs down for travelling supporters; not just for our own loyal fans, but those supporters of other clubs around the country as well."
Away attendances have declined by 10% over the past five seasons and the Football Supporters' Federation has said the cost of tickets is a major concern.
A 2013 BBC study of the costs of football found the average prices of the most expensive season ticket and highest and lowest match-day prices in the Premier League had fallen by up to 5.3%.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I think Fulham have also offered free away coach travel for their games for season ticket holders.

I'd love to more away games but limit myself to 7 or 8 a year depending on location, to some I may be a bad fan but once the ticket price, travel, cider, food and a service station stop is factored in, it's a £100 day out.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Magpies finance director John Irving said: "We believe the right way to encourage people to attend is to look at charging reasonable prices."

Wow. What a STAGGERING concept. Truly revolutionary marketing.

Who'd have thunk it ?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Can't see Barber copying this unless it is to increase the price

Couldnt disagree more. This will result in away allocations selling out and nothing would please Barber more than arses on seats.

Selling tickets to more people at a cheaper price will result in more money being generated than less people buying them at a higher price. Wouldnt expect anything this season though.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I may be wrong but doesn't the away ticket revenue go the the home team, so what is the benefit of low away ticket prices to us? Unless it's beneficial to us to have a full away allocation sold at the Amex every home game?

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Great idea - should also be done in the Championship.

It doesn't have to be revenue negative - if more fans come and spend more when they are in the ground then it could be quite the opposite. Given the average fan spend in the Amex I'd imagine PB would see potential rather than pitfalls - how often will teams sell their full allocation this season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here