Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Handling the cold this winter

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've had enough of living in a cold house in the winter, so I'm looking at ways to warm the place up.

Naturally, I've laid down insulation where possible, and I'm going to buy loads of draught excluders to plug a few gaps.

I have two questions relating to a couple of other ideas:

1) I have sash windows, so double glazing isn't possible. However, you can buy film which is supposed to act as double glazing. Stuff like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNIB-STOR..._Accents_LE&hash=item27d7c63b92#ht_627wt_1063

So has anyone on here used this stuff before, and if so how effective is it?

2) A dull central heating question
My central heating is a bit sluggish. I suspect the central heating pump simply isn't powerful enough. Does anyone have a secondary central heating pump and if so, do they make a BIG difference? i.e. enough to justify spending a few hundred quid having fitted

And HELL, lets make this into a thread featuring all kinds of "keeping warm" tips in the winter. I might even buy the Albion onesie if it makes one feel SNUG.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
1) I have sash windows, so double glazing isn't possible. However, you can buy film which is supposed to act as double glazing. Stuff like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNIB-STOR..._Accents_LE&hash=item27d7c63b92#ht_627wt_1063

sounds like snake oil. the benefits of f double glazing are from the air gap between the glass panes, i dont see how a film applied will have remotly the same effect. it might make the surface more of an insulator though and help a bit. I'd have thought the problem with sash windows are all the gaps, taping them up would be a better idea (i saw cheap gaffer tape on HotDeals UK last week, worth a look)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Having sash windows doesn't mean you can't have double glazing, the effect the film has is pretty minimal and double glazing is many times more effective. The best thing I ever had done to my house is to have cavity wall insulation, now it keeps warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Depending on budget etc I have been looking into a heat recovery ventilation system which takes out the stale, wet air and brings back fresh air from outside after passing through a heat exchanger.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I've used the film before... Its just double-sided tape and cling film. You stick it over the window and use a hair dryer to warm and it stretches tight.

It does block draughts (because the whole window is now sealed in) but heat will still leave the house and cold come in through convection (conduction? - can never remember which is which!).

Therefore it will help with the draughts that inevitably come with sash windows but do nothing like the job that double glazing would do.

It is possible to fit double glazed panes of glass within the sash window but if its draughty then this doesn't fix the issue either.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I used that film stuff on my single glazed sash windows last year and it does make a big difference. The scientific proof - without it there is condensation on my bedroom window every morning, with it there's no condensation unless it's absolutely brass-monkeys, indicating a warmer surface.

Other than that identifying as many draughts as you can makes a difference. Last year was my first winter in this house (built 1920s) and I found cold air blasting in from loads of places, once I stopped it my house was noticibly easier to heat and keep heated.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Just seen a few of the posts about the film - obviously it isn't as good as proper double glazing!!!!

If for whatever reason you can't have proper double glazing installed, in my experience it's worth doing for the £7 it costs in B&Q

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The best thing I ever had done to my house is to have cavity wall insulation, now it keeps warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

This. Best of all you can get it done for free.

I'll add to the mix that a decent heated blanket, high tog duvet and a good naked woman can help a lot with the cold as well !

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cavity wall insulation is a no-brainer where possible. Sadly, my house was build in 1885, and cavity walls were rare back then.

No cavity walls + single sash window= ruddy freezing. :(

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
In a previous house I was in I had the sash windows draft proofed, they put a draught excluder thingy around the frame of the window and it made a massive difference. It was not the stuff you can buy from B&Q and not sure how easy it would be to DIY. I also cannot remember how much I paid for this to be done but I do remember it was well worth the money.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Cavity wall insulation is a no-brainer where possible. Sadly, my house was build in 1885, and cavity walls were rare back then.

No cavity walls + single sash window= ruddy freezing. :(

I don't know the exact details and it will obviously not solve your problem for the up and coming winter BUT I understand there is something that you can paint onto inside walls to reflect heat back ( I'm no expert as you can tell ! ). Clearly you're only going to do this when re-decorating a room.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't be doing with a cold house. We just have the heating on as much as required to ensure we're not cold, topped up with a fire in the lounge when required.

At home I'm in shorts all year round.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Folded up sheets of newspaper stuffed into gaps is a very effective draft excluder I find. As is hanging thick curtains over doors you rarely use. All very old fashioned, but effective.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
more Natal Rd than Natal ZA me thinks

:). Well, if you live in a house built in the 1950's in a country that laughs at the mention of double glazing or central heating, when it gets cold you have to resort to the cheaper ways of keeping warm! Am extremely grateful for all the drafts in this house most of the time though, just not when it is -10 at 5:30 in the morning and you are getting up for the school run.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I tried this when I was living in Ben's flat, it made very little difference as far as I could tell. Taping up all the gaps and making sure there isn't a draft made a bigger difference, I found some good tape that is specifically designed for that sort of thing. I'd also recommend doing the same on internal doors.

Obviously I'm far more smug about central heating these days :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here