Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OMG - British Gas increases of 10.4% and 8.4% - WHAT PLANET ARE THEY ON !!!!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just announced. All the big six deny being in a cartel yet they all put their prices up by similar amounts, at similar times and always just before winter !!!!!

There really is not word in the English language to describe them. :censored:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Just announced. All the big six deny being in a cartel yet they all put their prices up by similar amounts, at similar times and always just before winter !!!!!

Yes there is ..... cockwombles.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Do you think the future and to freeze prices, as announced by the opposition party recently has anything to do with this?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Do you think the future and to freeze prices, as announced by the opposition party recently has anything to do with this?

No , its happens on a regular basis just before Winter sets in , if the profits aren't high enough then you get another increase in the Spring.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Won't somebody think of the shareholders?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

No , its happens on a regular basis just before Winter sets in , if the profits aren't high enough then you get another increase in the Spring.

Indeed. Here's a story from October 2012 about increasing energy prices. Look who was at it this time last year too way before the Labour announcement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19927350

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I doubt it. Regardless, it was a nice party conference announcement, but I can't see they'll be able to implement a freeze anyway.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

There are plenty of words to descibe them, unfortunately they are all banned on here.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Well someone has to pay for those call centre staff whose job is to ring every household in the UK and ask them to come back to British Gas.

So glad I wasn't tempted - I stuck with Scottish Power fixed for 12 months tariff, what about the rest of you?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I'm all for markets where there's a genuine basis for competition among producers/suppliers and for choice on the part of consumers, but in the case of most utilities and energy suppliers this is not the case. They are, for the most part, natural monopolies -- what's the basis of competition? it is after all the same gas coming through the same pipes regardless of who you buy it from, and it's the same electricity, generated at the same power stations, regardless of who you buy it from. So-called competition in this market just ends up with multiple organisations diverting resources into attracting customers from each other (resources that could be invested in R&D, new energy sources, and better distribution networks), and siphoning off surpluses to pay dividends to shareholders (surpluses that could be in invested in ... etc, etc), and government resources devoted to regulating the dysfunctional companies (resources that could be invested in... etc etc). There is no obvious way in which the introduction of competition in this market has benefited either consumers or the longer-term development of alternative approaches to energy that could help combat climate change.
Call me old-fashioned, but I'd renationalise the lot of them.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Get fixed in before its too late

I switched to BG last year as they were offering £200 cashback (and were cheaper than my then supplier SSE). Frustratingly I don't get the 2nd half of the £200 until next month, by which time it will be too late to switch and get a good fix.

Does anyone know how long it takes a new supplier to notity a current supplier that they are taking over the supply? If it takes a few weeks, I could switch now, and still get the £100 before the BG know i'm leaving?

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Does anyone know how long it takes a new supplier to notity a current supplier that they are taking over the supply? If it takes a few weeks, I could switch now, and still get the £100 before the BG know i'm leaving?

I work for BG. I know it takes between 14 and 21 days to notify your current supplier. This is due to distance selling regualtions - Energy Companies's have to offer a two week cool-off period, during which point they aren't allowed to contact your exisiting supplier in case you change your mind and cancel in cool-off.

In our defence, we're offsetting the price for all pensioners and those with disabilities and vulnerabilities by giving them a addional £60 credit over the winter to cover the winter price increase, which is on top of the exisiting Winter Fuel Allowance. Don't think SSE did that.

It's true we have to think of the shareholders, because without them, there would be no investment in energy supply. Without dividends, there's no fresh investment. And also, without dividends being paid out, a lot of peoples pension schemes would be down the pan. If the government still owned the utilities, it would be roughly the same situation. They wouldn't exactly want to run at a loss.

And personally, I don't think this has anything to do with the Fuel price-freeze thingy. All thoughts are my own, as well.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

As soon as your cooling off period with a new supplier expires they'll notify the old one that they're going to take the supply, so somewhere between 10-14 days after you've signed a contract usually.

D

Deleted member 22389

It's a f**n disgrace.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here