Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tabloids take aim at Hodgson again, this time over 'space monkey' race row

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
:FFSParr:

So bloody annoying.

Apparently Roy told a joke at half time about an astronaut and a monkey in space as an analogy for Smalling's chief responsibility when in possession being to pass to Townsend if he can

An odd half time teamtalk, sure, but this is the joke:
“NASA decided they’d finally send a man up in a capsule after sending only monkeys in the earlier missions,” the joke goes.
“They fire the man and the monkey into space.
“The intercom crackles, ‘Monkey, fire the retros.’
“A little later, ‘Monkey, check the solid fuel supply.’
“Later still, “Monkey, check the life support systems for the man.’
“The astronaut takes umbrage and radioes NASA, ‘When do I get to do something?’
“NASA replies, ‘In 15 minutes – feed the monkey.'"

So, is it a legitimate race row? Or another mudslinging exercise to try and force Roy out so the "people's choice" 'Arry Redknapp can take over?

Last edited:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
That actually made me laugh.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Doesn't this type of crap story come out AFTER we've been knocked out of the World Cup?
It all depends if 'Arry is the manager or not.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Complete non story. Total nonsense.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
The Sun will drag up anything they can to discredit Roy as he got the job ahead of their man (Redknapp). Their headlines mocking his speech impediment after he was appointed were dreadful. He could win the WC and they'll still find something to level at him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
we'll probably have to start referring to it as the 'M' word.
Shouldn't really, being the wet & washy liberal that I am, but that did make me chuckle.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Completely ridiculous on all counts, obviously.

What's intriguing me about this though, is who leaked the story. There can't have been too many people in the England dressing room at half-time so someone must have it in for Woy when trying to stitch him up here.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

What's intriguing me about this though, is who leaked the story. There can't have been too many people in the England dressing room at half-time so someone must have it in for Woy when trying to stitch him up here.

More importantly than that who from Nasa leaked the original story?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It could just have been a joke that was enjoyed then passed on.

'Where did you here that' says Sun journo laughing at the joke.
'Roy told it at half time, we enjoyed it', says one of 30 people.
'Yeah it's a good joke, and he's not wrong, Townsend was excellent' says still laughing Sun journo.

24 hours later, while still laughing at the joke..'Wait a minute, we've finally got him, perhaps we can get Roy the sack and 'Arry will be a shoe in to replace him'.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

my money's on sturridge.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Can the individual or individuals who leaked this from the dressing room please step forward. No. I thought not. Just ignorant, gutless and naive coward/s who have decided to put this in the public domain.
IT WAS A JOKE. THATS ALL. Not a cleverly constructed racist implicated slur. RH doesn't have a racist bone in his body.
The thought would never have entered his head that any other meaning could be read into this. It was designed to relax the dressing room. But no, someone decided that it was having a dig at black people using the archaic, stereotypical analogy of black man = monkey. Dear oh dear oh dear. Are we still bogged down with this agenda. Are there still footballers hanging on every word of Rio Ferdinand as if he is some sort of champion of a persecuted minority, supported by the obnoxious and quite frankly insulting Association of Black Lawyers, who represent everything that society is trying desperately not to be.
It smacks of immaturity and naivety and I'm sure there are hundreds of black footballers and many more black people in every walk of life, embarrassed by the mileage and publicity over this.
I'm not surprised the tabloids have seized on it. They have long since demonstrated that anything goes as far as they are concerned. One bit of smut is worth ten times a bit of good news ( Oh, I just remembered, we just qualified for the World Cup...time to sharpen some knives...its all going too well )
Rant over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here