Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The recovery appears to be continuing!!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Good news although the usual suspects will be along to spread negativity to proceedings...

UK jobless total falls by 18.000 to 2.49m

The number of unemployed in the UK fell by 18,000 to 2.49 million in the June-August period, official figures show.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) also said the number of people claiming Job seeker's Allowance last month fell by 41,700 to 1.35 million.

The unemployment rate drops to 7.7%, down from 7.8% the previous quarter.

The number of people in work, both full-time and part-time, reached a record high of 29.87 million in the quarter, up 155,000.

Oh and employment has reached a record high, some on here were suggesting doom for many years to come...oh and of course we should make more things!!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Good news although the usual suspects will be along to spread negativity to proceedings...

The number of unemployed in the UK fell by 18,000 to 2.49 million in the June-August period, official figures show.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) also said the number of people claiming Job seeker's Allowance last month fell by 41,700 to 1.35 million.

The number of people in work, both full-time and part-time, reached a record high of 29.87 million in the quarter, up 155,000.

Oh and employment has reached a record high, some on here were suggesting doom for many years to come...

And all I keep getting as a pop up ad on here is "The End Of Britain" forecasting a massive financial collapse

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
For some.

The number of people relying on food banks to survive has tripled over the last year, according to new figures.

The Trussell Trust, which runs 400 food banks across the UK, said it handed out supplies to more than 350,000 people between April and September this year.

A third of those being helped were children, and a third needed food following a delay in the payment of benefits.

The government said the rise was down to the greater number of food banks.

Great answer. There are more food banks because more people need them. More people need them so there are more food banks.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
For some.

The number of people relying on food banks to survive has tripled over the last year, according to new figures.

The Trussell Trust, which runs 400 food banks across the UK, said it handed out supplies to more than 350,000 people between April and September this year.

A third of those being helped were children, and a third needed food following a delay in the payment of benefits.

Great answer. There are more food banks because more people need them. More people need them so there are more food banks.

This can only go one way. The collapse of a major U.S. food bank leading to food banking worldwide being torn apart...

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
No one is in any doubt that there is a recovery, but questions very much remain who is benefitting from this recovery. As pay rises are far below that of Inflation I would hazard a guess not many. Inflation is roughly 3 times that of average pay rises.

I would argue that those benefitting the most from this Govt are those that are earning all ready large wages, with large bonuses etc. Not Mr & Mrs average.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
This means absolutely nothing. June to August offers a huge amount of seasonal work from tourism to fruit picking.

Always more people in work during the summer. A non story.

D

Deleted member 22389

Oh and employment has reached a record high, some on here were suggesting doom for many years to come...oh and of course we should make more things!!

Not putting down your stats, but they mentioned that youth unemployment has remained about the same.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
It doesn't seem to be doing the Tories much good, at least not in London. A poll in last night's Evening Standard suggests they are in for a clobbering, unless they replace David Cameron with Boris Johnson. I'm not sure which prospect concerns me more - Ed Miliband as Prime Minister, or Boris - not too keen on either, I must say.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For some.

I'm not sure you're allowed to post facts like this on a thread by Tory lickspittles like Chicken Run.

Perhaps post it if applicable when Labour return to power and get some good economic news?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Although I'm a Tory, I'd hold your horses on saying it's continuing. We should applaud the results, but we should be keeping an eye on the housing market, it's not tin foil wearing hat to believe a bubble will emerge and drag the UK economy down when it bursts if we don't make preemptive measures to deflate said bubble.
Not putting down your stats, but they mentioned that youth unemployment has remained about the same.

Youth unemployment is always going to be difficult, I think the education system has played a fundamental part over the past decade. Labour wanted more people going to university (nothing wrong with this but..) this led to an deficit in skilled trades being developed, university was thrown at the forefront of education, I remember 5 years ago whilst doing my GCSEs the amount of tutor group lessons we had on universities and life after college. Rarely was I made aware about vocational courses at City in skilled trades. The policy of trying to get as many students to university as possible may have backfired and created a deficit in skilled work which is why we rely on foreign workers.

I personally believe schools should introduce 2 separate weeks of work experience. One in a trades environment and another in one which the student wishes to choose; alternatively, schools and colleges should work together and invite students to have a day in their college to see what these colleges offer. I know open evenings are there for that, but you don't get a hands on experience on certain crafts or subjects.

Another to note; is the minimum wage preventing the youth from working? A controversial subject, but benefits is often more appealing to live on that a minimum wage full time job. So the minimum wage needs to either be raised or removed for the u-22s or benefits need great restrictions. I think the no benefits for those under 25 years old may well help retain the minimum wage, and force people into work.

I'm not sure you're allowed to post facts like this on a thread by Tory lickspittles like Chicken Run.

Perhaps post it if applicable when Labour return to power and get some good economic news?

Good economic news? More quantitative easing; higher inflation; more taxes; a bigger government and bigger public sector? I'm interested in how Keynesians really believe they can solve recessions by spending more in down turns, then cutting in the boom.

The main equation for aggregate demand is: AD = C + I + G + (X-M) G being government spending. According to Keynes, when one or more of these decrease, aggregate demand decreases and causes an economic slow down. If during the boom, we cut G, we reduce aggregate demand and alas repeat the cycle.

If we are to borrow more, what if our creditors decide to no longer lend? Or what if we borrow more and see no economic recovery; we'll have more debt and still no growth. These factors play a major role in our gilt yields, and we only have to look at Greece to see what happens when yields spike.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
0.2% improvement on last year?

slow_hand_clap_welles_340.gif

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
This means absolutely nothing. June to August offers a huge amount of seasonal work from tourism to fruit picking.

Always more people in work during the summer. A non story.

So we had had on this thread that there will 'always [be] more poeple in work during the summer' and 'Jobless figure decrease in lead up to Christmas shocker', even though this is the figure for the summer.

face it guys, with regards to employment the Government are getting it about right.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Would be interested to know how many of those 18,000 back in work are on minimum wage and zero hours contracts.....

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House

Sorry. This one will go down better.

ONS figures reveal first fall in public sector pay since records began.

State employees saw their earnings fall by 0.5 per cent over the last year, while private sector workers saw their pay rise by 1.1 per cent in the same period.

Wages are still growing much more slowly than inflation, meaning a real-terms pay cut for the average worker, with particularly steep rises in food prices.

Still thats a recovery apparently.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
It doesn't seem to be doing the Tories much good, at least not in London. A poll in last night's Evening Standard suggests they are in for a clobbering, unless they replace David Cameron with Boris Johnson. I'm not sure which prospect concerns me more - Ed Miliband as Prime Minister, or Boris - not too keen on either, I must say.

The Evening Standard is the Boris Johnsons fan club publication.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

So we had had on this thread that there will 'always [be] more poeple in work during the summer' and 'Jobless figure decrease in lead up to Christmas shocker', even though this is the figure for the summer.

face it guys, with regards to employment the Government are getting it about right.

Getting it right!!!!

Perhaps you should have included the following quote:-

David Freeman from the ONS gave BBC News a breakdown of the figures. He said the number of part-time workers had reached a new high with, "nearly one in five people working part-time because they can't find a full-time job."

I believe there are 8m in part time work and therefore 1.75m are doing part time work when they really need full time work but of course the jobs aren't there. Add to that the fact that a lot of people in full time work haven't had a pay rise of note for several years and anything they did get was way below inflation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here