Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

26 years since the Great Storm

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Time flies eh!?

Can still remember so much of that amazing night. No chance of sleeping through it as the roof came off the house!

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
All I remember really is all the trees that had gone over in Hove Park. Plus I think the neigbours shed went flying down his garden.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Remember climbing through the Stein to get to American Express...and on arriving at work, finding I was the only person to show up.....people phoning in to advise they were looking for their sheds, bikes, etc...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Slept right through it. Great kip it was.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I slept through it!

The double glazing in my room had always whistled in the slightest wind, and we'd recently got it fixed. So, when I did briefly stir in the night and heard the wind I just thought "Pfff, still not fixed properly", turned over and went back to sleep. My mum woke me up with the news.

Went straight round my mates, and we went up Easthill Park, which was just decimated.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Living in H/H back then. Mrs SS had returned for a 3 week trip in Oz, so the jet-lag allowed her to sleep through.
In the morning, the big tree outside had fallen against the house and tress all down Bolnore Road had come down bringing live overhead power cables with them - scary stuff.

No chance of getting to work as all the trees down on the railways meant no trains [to Brighton].

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I went on a mate's stag night the night before, got very very drunk and slept through it all. Woke up at 6am needing a wee, saw the electricity was off so decided to head to work at withdean exchange. On the way I noticed more than a few trees down and it slowly dawned on me that something big had happened.
For the next six months I was up to me apricots in overtime (most of which I blew on booze and a big holiday).

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I slept through it!

Went straight round my mates, and we went up Easthill Park, which was just decimated.

We had to evacuate from our home just off Foredown Rd at around 2am, and went to my grandparents home near Valley Rd. We walked back the next morning via Easthill Park and it was indeed an incredible sight.

The old industrial non health and safety playground came down shortly afterwards if I recall correctly? Been looking online for years for a picture of it!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Living in H/H back then. Mrs SS had returned for a 3 week trip in Oz, so the jet-lag allowed her to sleep through.
In the morning, the big tree outside had fallen against the house and tress all down Bolnore Road had come down bringing live overhead power cables with them - scary stuff.

No chance of getting to work as all the trees down on the railways meant no trains [to Brighton].

And the only phone I could find that worked, in order to ring the office, was in the Sergison Arms - bonus!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I slept through it and the first any of us knew was when I got up in the morning to find the electricity was out. Remember driving with my Dad to check on my grandparents near Preston Park and The Racehill and seeing lots of trees down as we drove about. Our house escaped fairly unscathed, the tree in the front garden got shifted to a slightly funny angle by the wind but nothing more serious than that.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Was sad going down Ditchling road in Brighton seeing so many trees down in the woods and
you could see right though into Hollingdean.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I was on the west arm of the marina fishing with a pal (rip) the wind started to get up so we decided to fish underneath the wall into the harbour side . You could back then , we fished all night unaware what was happening apart from the spray coming over the seaward side into the harbour to us it was just windy . Got home to me mums up the top of queensway and the entire roof of her block of flats was gone .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here