Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andrew Mitchell

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There is obviously some serious issues relating to the Police in this case but would Mitchell have a lot more credibility if he actually admitted what he said rather than just keep re-affirming what he didn't say?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
There is obviously some serious issues relating to the Police in this case but would Mitchell have a lot more credibility if he actually admitted what he said rather than just keep re-affirming what he didn't say?

I don't like the man much, but I think the answer to your question is no, not really. He has admitted swearing at them and denied calling them plebs. He has done so regularly and consistently. Personally, I don't think that knowing what the actual swear words are makes much difference. "Plebs" was always the heart of the matter - the word implies disdain and, from the mouth of a Tory, has strong class connotations, which, for Mitchell, was always going to be career terminating. It's starting to look like a cover up - 8 people arrested following the initial incident, the IPCC calling into question the honesty and integrity of the three officers who subsequently met him, and now three chief constables saying that no investigation of their officers' conduct was or is necessary. Hmmm.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I don't think that many people really care about this news story. Andrew Mitchell was wrong for doing what he did and if the police have fibbed about what happened then naught them. However the utter waste of taxpayers money already thrown at this unimportant non event is pretty obscene and a complete waste.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Same old lies and lack of professional dignity from our Police Force. Is anyone seriously surprised at either the outcome or the fact that the police lied to make their case, it's been going on for years...

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I don't think that many people really care about this news story. Andrew Mitchell was wrong for doing what he did and if the police have fibbed about what happened then naught them. However the utter waste of taxpayers money already thrown at this unimportant non event is pretty obscene and a complete waste.

Really? So if the police lied about and incident involving you and you lost your job - you would just say oh naughty policeman.....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I disagree - I watched a C4 programme on it a while back ( possibly Dispatches ) and the fact that the meeting was recorded backs up that Mitchell has been consistent all along. I worries me greatly that three police officers are clearly lying and playing politics. It's important this is dealt with otherwise public confidence in the police ( especially senior officers ) will be further eroded. Add in the cover up at Hillsborough and how can the public trust the police at all ?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
How much money has been wasted on what, let's face it, is a fairly trivial event?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Fibbed?????That makes it sound like naughty schoolchildren in the playground.
I think it rather more serios than that.If our police force will try and stitch up a Cabinet Minister,what do you think they would try on ordinary 'Joe Public'.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Letting the police investigate themselves is wrong. They hold a unique and vital place in society and need to be (and be seen to be) transparent in their workings. If they investigate complaints against themselves, even when it's another force, a lot of people will be cynical.

It's rather like someone being accused of stealing and then asking their mum if they should be charged.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Letting the police investigate themselves is wrong. They hold a unique and vital place in society and need to be (and be seen to be) transparent in their workings. If they investigate complaints against themselves, even when it's another force, a lot of people will be cynical.

It's rather like someone being accused of stealing and then asking their mum if they should be charged.

Agreed but I struggle to think of anyone that would have the skill set to carry out the task outside the police ? Maybe military police ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I disagree - I watched a C4 programme on it a while back ( possibly Dispatches ) and the fact that the meeting was recorded backs up that Mitchell has been consistent all along. I worries me greatly that three police officers are clearly lying and playing politics. It's important this is dealt with otherwise public confidence in the police ( especially senior officers ) will be further eroded. Add in the cover up at Hillsborough and how can the public trust the police at all ?

Totally agree.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Agreed but I struggle to think of anyone that would have the skill set to carry out the task outside the police ? Maybe military police ?

The skills needed are to examine evidence and come to a conclusion. It's what we ask (untrained) jurors to do every day.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove

The police lost a member of a deomcraticly elected government his job. Its is rather serious. A threat to everything we hold dear. I remember a few years ago, was it the police? Who invaded the house of commons arrested an MP and conficated a computer with the details of an MPs constiuants.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Really? So if the police lied about and incident involving you and you lost your job - you would just say oh naughty policeman.....

Sorry but you've completely misunderstood my point and are so far away from it...

I'm not saying anything about who was right and wrong,yes of course anyone would be unhappy if the allegations that were made by the Police were not true. However, what I am saying is that I do not think it's in the public interest for parliament to be spending public money on having a parliamentary enquiry to look into what we already probably know, when there are far far more important issues to be concerned about.

Obviously, if you think that this enquiry and the amount of media attention it is getting is justified then, then of course that's your opinion. However, at a time when teachers and firefighters are going on strike and people are looking at losing their jobs, do you REALLY think that Andrew Mitchell is THE most important news story around at the moment?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Sorry but you've completely misunderstood my point and are so far away from it...

I'm not saying anything about who was right and wrong,yes of course anyone would be unhappy if the allegations that were made by the Police were not true. However, what I am saying is that I do not think it's in the public interest for parliament to be spending public money on having a parliamentary enquiry to look into what we already probably know, when there are far far more important issues to be concerned about.

Obviously, if you think that this enquiry and the amount of media attention it is getting is justified then, then of course that's your opinion. However, at a time when teachers and firefighters are going on strike and people are looking at losing their jobs, do you REALLY think that Andrew Mitchell is THE most important news story around at the moment?

At its very worse, the Police attempted a Coup d'état. (Granted, probably without the intellect to realise they were doing it). So yes, very much so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here