Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bunch of :censored:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In my limited experience, give me Estate Agents over Solicitors ANYDAY.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Was looking at a house 2 weeks after it had been on the market, was told there was another party interested, but making very low bids, so bid away. We joined in, bidding war goes on, we then offered full asking price on Saturday, other party came back with a bid that was still not asking price, we get our IFA to send over proof of mortgage etc, to show we were ready and serious, and just now the original party offer asking price, and magically the seller changed his mind to go with the original couple as they were there first so showed more commitment (!)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Letting agents are arguably worse. They're lazy, ill informed estate agents.

In 12 years of letting in Brighton, I'm yet to come across an ok one. The biggest compliment I can give is "not completely awful."

I've had a few as well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Letting agents are arguably worse. They're lazy, ill informed estate agents.

In 12 years of letting in Brighton, I'm yet to come across an ok one. The biggest compliment I can give is "not completely awful."

I've had a few as well.

Actually this.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
In my limited experience, give me Estate Agents over Solicitors ANYDAY.

Indeed, solicitors have no real incentive to chase things up and do work for you as they know they're going to get a big cheque out of you eventually. The seem to only lift their fingers if you phone them up EVERY F***ING DAY.

Having said that I haven't had too many dealings with estate agents so I've still got that to come.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Indeed, solicitors have no real incentive to chase things up and do work for you as they know they're going to get a big cheque out of you eventually. The seem to only lift their fingers if you phone them up EVERY F***ING DAY.

Having said that I haven't had too many dealings with estate agents so I've still got that to come.

Solicitors for my house purchase recently flat out REFUSED to do jobs that were their responsibility. I ended up going to their MD and suddenly magically these things were getting done.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Was looking at a house 2 weeks after it had been on the market, was told there was another party interested, but making very low bids, so bid away. We joined in, bidding war goes on, we then offered full asking price on Saturday, other party came back with a bid that was still not asking price, we get our IFA to send over proof of mortgage etc, to show we were ready and serious, and just now the original party offer asking price, and magically the seller changed his mind to go with the original couple as they were there first so showed more commitment (!)

That sounds like the vendors rather than the agents.

That said, I'm not a big fan of a particlar agency in Sussex currently due to a situation similar to the one you describe. Both us and another couple were interested in a house. They offered first, the agents informed me, so I offered more. The others were selected as they are cash buyers. I then went back and offered even more again, representing quite an increase on the amount the others had offered. I understood agents are legally obliged to present all offers to vendors, but I'm not convinced this happened in this instance as, a few days later when we'd seen another house, the agents said to me "I don't want you to be in the same position as you were with the other house having to make a counter offer. I don't work like that here - it's first come first served."

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That sounds like the vendors rather than the agents.

That said, I'm not a big fan of a particlar agency in Sussex currently due to a situation similar to the one you describe. Both us and another couple were interested in a house. They offered first, the agents informed me, so I offered more. The others were selected as they are cash buyers. I then went back and offered even more again, representing quite an increase on the amount the others had offered. I understood agents are legally obliged to present all offers to vendors, but I'm not convinced this happened in this instance as, a few days later when we'd seen another house, the agents said to me "I don't want you to be in the same position as you were with the other house having to make a counter offer. I don't work like that here - it's first come first served."

I just feel like it wasn't managed properly really. How the vendor can decide the people that looked first, but made low offers, and stupid increment bids, end up getting it, as after a 2nd viewing we went straight to asking price is beyond me! Just smells fishy to me... Annoying because it is rare that type of property / location has come up, and with 95% mortgages becoming available again, prices are going to soar I fear.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I just feel like it wasn't managed properly really. How the vendor can decide the people that looked first, but made low offers, and stupid increment bids, end up getting it, as after a 2nd viewing we went straight to asking price is beyond me! Just smells fishy to me... Annoying because it is rare that type of property / location has come up, and with 95% mortgages becoming available again, prices are going to soar I fear.

It's obviously a desirable place; why not make another offer of above asking price?

It could be that the other party are cash buyers.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's obviously a desirable place; why not make another offer of above asking price?

It could be that the other party are cash buyers.

I did think about that, but its not worth getting into I don't think. Just need to be quicker next time.

Conditions were the same, both no chain, with mortgage.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I did think about that, but its not worth getting into I don't think. Just need to be quicker next time.

Conditions were the same, both no chain, with mortgage.

Fair enough. Probably wouldn't take much to turn things in your favour though.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

Why is that the agents fault ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why is that the agents fault ?

Just felt it was managed well, how the vendor have the impression the first party are more committed, when we got to asking price first, and had everything lined up ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm waiting for an NSC estate agent to make an appearance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here