Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One for poker players

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Pre-flop raising. Absolutely bloody hate it, and think 99% of the time it is completely pointless. Discuss.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Pre-flop raising. Absolutely bloody hate it, and think 99% of the time it is completely pointless. Discuss.

I would love to play you. If you raise pre flop then you can bet the flop even if you have rubbish. If other person misses then very hard to call.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Why do you hate it? It's a key part of pot building with strong hands or putting the oppo under pressure when in position

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It's necessary in low tournaments with new players to represent that you've flopped the nuts to save getting rivered.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
It's easiest to catch fish if you've got a good pocket pair. If you're holding pocket aces or kings, you'd be mad not to raise pre-flop. Slow-playing is best for tight/passive players. They generally only play good hands, if you believe you have the best hand you need to get as much money out of the tight player as possible. With loose/aggressive players, you want to find out who they are and what cards they're likely to play.

Raising pre-flop is the best way to find out player's style, also the more risk = more gain, as long as you're not raising with a middle-low pair or off suit connectors.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Admittedly I'm still a relative novice, so all posts justifying it are great thanks :thumbsup:

I'm just getting wound up at the moment at a table where some knob jockey is pre-flop raising by about 10 x bb, every single hand

Admittedly I'm still a relative novice, so all posts justifying it are great thanks :thumbsup:

I'm just getting wound up at the moment at a table where some knob jockey is pre-flop raising by about 10 x bb, every single hand

Just wait til you have a monster. If you has put in 10BB he is unlikely to fold when you come back with an all in. You just then have to hope your Aces hold up!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Cash or tournament? What happens when someone jams him? How often folding? Wait for a premium and hit him, he'll go away soon enough

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Don't get wound up! That's a GLORIOUS opportunity to make loads of money from an idiot.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Please let me play you.

So if you've got a big hand pre-flop, you're just going to let anyone with any old sh*t limp in against you. How do you then know where you are post flop if you haven't given yourself some range of what might be in the other person's hand. Guesswork?

What about late on when the blinds are high? You are just going to let your opponent dictate to you the hands that you do and don't play.

Read up about it. Pre-flop raising is a basic really & can be learnt fairly easily.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Cash table, what's jam him mean?

Well if he's opening with 10bb then he's going to get put all in (jammed) from time to time. If he's folding 90% of the time then join the party!!

I guess you aren't using any tracking s/w like Hold Em Manager or Poker Office ... worth a try but any purists here will be up in arms

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Guess I'm just discovering the differences between real money and play money games :lolol: Been playing with play money for a while and just venturing into real money.

I used to play poker a lot 10 years ago, when it was still in it's infancy and there was some good money to be made then.

I can still hold my own now, but would not want to reply on it.

Then and now though there is one amazing constant, both online and in live play that I have never ever or ever will understand.

The so called better players telling the new / crap/ having laugh / killing an hour kind of players where they are going wrong.

It's just illogical.

Could you imagine the Albion going in 5-0 up against Palace at half time, only for Oscar to visit the opposition changing rooms and point out their weaknesses and our strengths?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Also bear in mind that if he's raising you every hand, your definition of a premium hand decreases.

very true this, if he's doing it with junk then you need virtually zip ... but watch out for someone getting in behind you

oh and make notes as well ... very useful next time you run into him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here