• Fence - don't bother me

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Very anti - its an invasion of my privacy

Votes: 9 13.4%

• Total voters

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The Madeleine McCann thread has prompted me to fire up this poll.
Had CCTV been available, the evidence / facts may have been much clearer.

So, are you pro or anti CCTV

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I was in the Brighton Labour Party when this was first put about in Brighton and voted yes then and have not seen anything since to change my mind

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I think the benefits to society outweigh the negatives.
My sensibilities may be affected, but cctv, can locate criminals, missing people etc.....for it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
As a community, we have had 4 cameras installed in the village to combat drug dealing and help identify illegal trucks/cars passing through, amongst other things. Crime halved overnight, apparently. So it's a "good" from me.

It is not something that I have seen much of in SA, which is a surprise. It was also a surprise when I discovered recently that there is no national DNA database and the access to fingerprint records is archaic as well. It is amazing what one takes for granted having lived in the UK for ages.

For those of you who think that CCTV cameras/vans etc. are unintrusive, give this a try. The next time the council's CCTV car or van appears in your street, take out your mobile phone and start recording their activities. For some reason, they get very upset by this.
Strange reaction as it's perfectly legal and they're a benefit to the local community or so they say. Record those who are recording you.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
For those of you who think that CCTV cameras/vans etc. are unintrusive, give this a try. The next time the council's CCTV car or van appears in your street, take out your mobile phone and start recording their activities. For some reason, they get very upset by this.
Strange reaction as it's perfectly legal and they're a benefit to the local community or so they say. Record those who are recording you.

Why? Slightly childish isn't it?

Absolutely it is, parking a big white van outside my house with CCTV cameras plastered all over the roof is certainly childish. If it's ok for them to record my activities, then the reverse should be true no?

The problem I have is this and you should all ask yourselves it, at what point does the council\police recording your activities not become ok?

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Absolutely it is, parking a big white van outside my house with CCTV cameras plastered all over the roof is certainly childish. If it's ok for them to record my activities, then the reverse should be true no?

Well they get paid for it and it is crime deterring.

You dont get paid for it and aren't achieving anything. Other than getting your blood pressure up for no reason.
They aren't sitting in the back watching your every move. Infact 99% of the time they aren't even recording.

As I said it's just a deterrent. Surely nothing wrong with that

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
For those of you who think that CCTV cameras/vans etc. are unintrusive, give this a try. ...

whats that got to do with how unintrusive they are? thats just sensitive officials, who if properly trained wouldnt give an arse you are filming them to make a point.

i want to object to them on principle, i just cant find any good reason to. i have no bother with them while they are unintrusive and overt. difficult contradiction to balance. highstreets and shops seem to get it right though, you are completely oblivious to their presense but they arent hidden at all.

whats that got to do with how unintrusive they are? thats just sensitive officials, who if properly trained wouldnt give an arse you are filming them to make a point.

i want to object to them on principle, i just cant find any good reason to. i have no bother with them while they are unintrusive and overt. difficult contradiction to balance. highstreets and shops seem to get it right though, you are completely oblivious to their presense but they arent hidden at all.

A big white van with CCTV cameras on the roof parked outside my house is not intrusive? At what point exactly does it become intrusive in your view?

You find them ok that's cool I get it but you should at least have the common decency to respect the fact I do not.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
A big white van with CCTV cameras on the roof parked outside my house is not intrusive? At what point exactly does it become intrusive in your view?

You find them ok that's cool I get it but you should at least have the common decency to respect the fact I do not.

I think you mis read his post. He didn't say they weren't intrusive

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

outside your home i would consider intrusive. but i would also wonder why they where, unless you are in the town centre.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
No thank you.

We should not have to live in a world where people feel it nescessary to spy on each other 24/7 just in-case. That this is even a question is a sad indictment on the current state of affairs. That 'Yes' is winning the poll, absolutely tragic.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

The problem I have is this and you should all ask yourselves it, at what point does the council\police recording your activities not become ok?

What the HELL have you been up to?

Well they get paid for it and it is crime deterring.

You dont get paid for it and aren't achieving anything. Other than getting your blood pressure up for no reason.
They aren't sitting in the back watching your every move. Infact 99% of the time they aren't even recording.

As I said it's just a deterrent. Surely nothing wrong with that

Having a police officer on a street is a crime deterrent, having 2 sat in the front of the van with God knows how many in the back is just a bloody waste of money. Those 3 officers could be deterring crime on 3 different streets not the 20 yards they're covering with their cameras sitting on their backsides.

Oh and being paid or not is no justification.

HKFC, I'm a master criminal apparently...that or they know I'm an Albion fan, which is probably against the law in these parts to be fair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here