Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lisbon

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
I'm off to Lisbon for 4 nights in a week or two , following recommendations from a few people . Benfica are at home on the Sunday afternoon , so that's sorted .
Any other must-do-highlights from the NSC great and good ?

I'm off to Lisbon for 4 nights in a week or two , following recommendations from a few people . Benfica are at home on the Sunday afternoon , so that's sorted .
Any other must-do-highlights from the NSC great and good ?

Went there on a day trip from the Algarve. Tram route 28 is a must.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
Without wanting to rain on your parade - I didn't find there was that much to do in Lisbon compared to many other European cities.

However, that said - a tour of Benfica's ground is a must, its a really good tour. We also went up the observation tower in the middle of the city which was cheap and has great views. Also the Carmo Church ruins are interesting. Other than that - didn't find much else to do other than go on Port tours and get battered!

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Double check the Benfica game. I went to Lisbon a couple of years ago, checked the website and found they had a fixture on the Sunday. Got up on Sunday morning absolutely buzzing for the game, only to find out that it had been played the previous evening, gutted is an understatement!

There's a good zoo and botanical garden there if that's your kind of thing, and the Vasco da Gama shopping center has something for everyone. Some areas have lots, and I mean lots of shady looking characters trying to sell you fake Raybans and cheap watches, and they are persistant!

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
At night, I'd highly recommend the Bairro Alto district. A network of narrow streets, full of bars, some unmarked & just an open door into a one room bar, very atmospheric & though there were one or two shifty characters hanging around, we didn't feel any kind of threat.

Great city, maybe not for bars and nightlife that those young chappies enjoy but lots of character. And easy to get round especially if you like hills.

I also recommend a trip on the 28 tram, plus some of the great tarts they sell (not those sorts of tarts!) in Bélen.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I went to Lisbon on HMS Ark Royal in 1989, we docked after a yank marine corp ship,USS Saratoga, had been in for about 8 hours, and all the yanks had got tanked up and decided to take on thelocal old bill. We walked into the middle of a riot, made for an interesting evening, even our officers were getting nicked, just for walking down the road. Bit of a diplomatic incident, we sailed two days early as a protest, and went to Hamburg instead,a much better run ashore.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Lisbon is AMAZING. One of my favourite cities. Do a day over to Belem, where you'll find the Torre de Belem, the Monasteiros (sp?) de Jeronimos, the Explorers monument, and the famous custard tart making place - they have to be tasted to be believed!
Make sure you do a day to Sintra. It's about 45 minutes by train. Then you can get a bis around three cool palaces/castles and the town centre. Lord Byron called it the most beautiful village on earth - probably incorrect, but it's close!
As for the city itself, there's a lot of hills, but it's quite small, so the best thing is to just wander and enjoy - it's that kind of city. The Alfama district is really cool, and you get amazing romantic views from the Castelo de Sau Jorge at the top. Lots of churches to peer into.
Make sure you visit some of the drinking terraces on the viewpoints. You'll see Miradouros on tourist maps, and because of Lisbon's pretty buildings and hilly location they are all amazing places to enjoy a drink and views (weather permitting). Beer in Lisbon is really cheap, so enjoy!
Make sure you try Porco Preto (black pork), it's really tasty! And they do lovely fish.

Enjoy!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here