Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Wheatley to Direct new Dr Who.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why does ANYONE actually watch Doctor Who?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Got into it a bit over last few years. It's well made escapism. Nowt wrong with that is there?

Indeed. You could turn the question round and ask "What would you watch instead at that time?".... and X-Factor is not a valid answer.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Because they like it?

Bizarre.

I can understand liking it back in the 60s, when it would've seemed a lot more "cutting edge" - but it just looks like a pantomime show put on screen now, with awful effects and intentionally(?) bad acting.

It's for children, right?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Why does ANYONE actually watch Doctor Who?

To discuss the awful storyline and plot holes obviously! What else is their discuss every Monday morning with your piers? You need to save that small talk for the other four dreaded days.;)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Indeed. You could turn the question round and ask "What would you watch instead at that time?".... and X-Factor is not a valid answer.

I don't watch ANY live TV because it's 2013.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Quite. It's got good production values. Thought is put into th estorylines, It's got a wide demographic meaning it's not trying to appeal to 14 year old girls like nearly every other prime time program hence it thankfully isn't filled with buffed up young queers staring moodily into a full moon and pretending it means summat.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Got into it a bit over last few years. It's well made escapism. Nowt wrong with that is there?

Just surprises me that someone who seems to hate EVERYTHING likes Doctor blinkin Who.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bizarre.

I can understand liking it back in the 60s, when it would've seemed a lot more "cutting edge" - but it just looks like a pantomime show put on screen now, with awful effects and intentionally(?) bad acting.

som epeople like it. Some people don't. Fair do's.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just surprises me that someone who seems to hate EVERYTHING likes Doctor blinkin Who.

I hardly hate everything do I. There are dozens of threads such as the one about Early Doors where I expresss my affection for various sitcoms or threads about the 90's, the last decade I was happy.. I am probably more discerning than your average Joe and i can see how it might seem like I hate a lot of things but that's mainly because we get threads discussing the merits of Lee Mack or other such shithouse.

I sometimes enjoy a bit of daft escapism that Dr Who provides. I don't limit myself Mellotron. If I like it, I don't follow a set of self restricting "cool rules", I like it. What can I tells ya? The heart wants what the heart wants.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Bizarre.

Each to their own. I personally love it, one of the best things the BBC have done in many years. I think some of the plots are quite clever, and some of the effects are great. There was one recently set upon a Soviet submarine during the cold war - it was brilliant.

I love it, and it seems to bring everyone together. My six year old nephew thinks it's great so does my girlfriends dad, in his 60's. Nothing wrong with a bit of family viewing!

Bring on Capaldi!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I quite like it but back to the thread. Why should I be pleased that Ben Wheatley is to direct (ok I know I can Google but it would be nice if it had been explained).

Ben Wheatley is one of the most daring, innovative, shocking and talented young British directors working in the uK today. He works exclusively in cinema so it's a coup and an interesting one to get him on BBC.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I quite like it but back to the thread. Why should I be pleased that Ben Wheatley is to direct (ok I know I can Google but it would be nice if it had been explained).

Because you've thought recent series of Dr Who have too much of a plot and could be improved by taking themselves far too seriously?

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hardly hate everything do I. There are dozens of threads such as the one about Early Doors where I expresss my affection for various sitcoms or threads about the 90's, the last decade I was happy.. I am probably more discerning than your average Joe and i can see how it might seem like I hate a lot of things but that's mainly because we get threads discussing the merits of Lee Mack or other such shithouse.

I sometimes enjoy a bit of daft escapism that Dr Who provides. I don't limit myself Mellotron. If I like it, I don't follow a set of self restricting "cool rules", I like it. What can I tells ya? The heart wants what the heart wants.

Fair enough. I like some bollocks. You can quote me on that as well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here