Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin Allen SACKED live on BT

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Seems it all happened at that match after I switched off.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The man is a firebrand and doesn't seem to care who he upsets. I remember watching a training session once and I couldn't believe my eyes or ears. He was slaughtering every player and the language was unrepeatable.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
He's always struck me as a gobsh*te. I've heard him on Talksport numerous times re-telling some boring tale about how he took the squad to Nando's after they won an important game. "I advertised in a newspaper for someone to teach me how to whistle". Side-splitting. Falls into the Ian Holloway/Harry Redknapp catergory of media glorified blandness.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It's stupid pantomime stuff but I remember him being quite amusing once at Withdean. He'd been warned by the ref and then another dubious decision went against his side (must have been Cheltenham) so he went behind the dugout where only our fans could see him to make a load of gestures at the ref.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He'd just won a couple too. Madness

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
He'd just won a couple too. Madness

A couple of posts on the Gillingham forum along the lines of this one:

A member of the Travelling Community said:
A relative of a close friend of mine is heavily involved at the club, he has sworn me to secrecy up to now, but has been describing for well over a year the poisonous atmosphere generated by the ex-manager. Players, coaching staff and office staff were apparently treated appallingly. I was told that they were screamed at, demeaned, ridiculed, and having every action questioned and controlled. Younger players feel that they were routinely bullied.

MA's PR with fans did not match the way he dealt those he worked with.
In the words of my friends relative there will be a bigger party at the club when he leaves than when we went up.

On field results have ultimately been his downfall, but clearly this has added to it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's stupid pantomime stuff but I remember him being quite amusing once at Withdean. He'd been warned by the ref and then another dubious decision went against his side (must have been Cheltenham) so he went behind the dugout where only our fans could see him to make a load of gestures at the ref.

I remember the crowd giving Wilkins stick about bringing everyone back for a corner. Wilkins followed the advice of the South Stand and Allen's team promptly scored from it and he gave us the thumbs up for our sterling advice.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Funnily enough, when Paolo di Canio was being discussed on here, I thought of "Mad Dog" as his nearest English equivalent. Mind you, I can imagine Micky Adams blowing a fuse if things weren't going right. Not that I would put either in PDC's category when it comes to unpleasantness. Saying that, PDC did show another side to his character when playing for West Ham at Everton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here