Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the empty new building between Lewes Rd and the railway line?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
... just to the west of the Bridge Car Park entrance?

It looks all set up and ready to go, but no-one there? The western end looks like a theatre-style area.

Bollards at the end of the road which disappear into the road to let vehicles pass. All very high-tech and secure.

Sussex University will also move their Mass Observation archive into The Keep.

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/planning/major-developments/keep

A new historical resource centre is under construction at Woollards Field, near Falmer. It will provide a home for all the archives and historical resources of East Sussex and Brighton & Hove and the special collections of the University of Sussex, including the internationally renowned Mass Observation Archive.

The building will also include the library and headquarters of the Sussex Family History Group.

The new building would be open to anyone who wants to use the public search rooms and facilities. Learning and participation across all ages and every part of the community will be encouraged, including schools, colleges, universities, volunteers, community groups and organisations.

The partners delivering the project are East Sussex County Council, Brighton & Hove City Council and the University of Sussex.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Sussex University will also move their Mass Observation archive into The Keep.

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/planning/major-developments/keep

A new historical resource centre is under construction at Woollards Field, near Falmer. It will provide a home for all the archives and historical resources of East Sussex and Brighton & Hove and the special collections of the University of Sussex, including the internationally renowned Mass Observation Archive.

The building will also include the library and headquarters of the Sussex Family History Group.

The new building would be open to anyone who wants to use the public search rooms and facilities. Learning and participation across all ages and every part of the community will be encouraged, including schools, colleges, universities, volunteers, community groups and organisations.

The partners delivering the project are East Sussex County Council, Brighton & Hove City Council and the University of Sussex.

Does that mean the archive at the old Maltings in Lewes will relocate - and if so what is happening to the Maltings?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Thank you. That explains it! Anything you need to know, ask the NSC community.

Does that mean the archive at the old Maltings in Lewes will relocate - and if so what is happening to the Maltings?
The Maltings is already closed to the public, while they box up the contents and move them to The Keep.

As for the future of the building ... ESCC intend to transfer ownership to Lewes District Council, in exchange for Lewes District Council transferring Southover Grange to ESCC. LDC will use The Maltings to "develop the cultural and heritage identity of Lewes". ESCC will use Southover Grange (which they currently lease from LDC) to "provide an enhanced registration and ceremony facility to residents in East Sussex".

http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/nr/rdo...item5proposedexchangeoflandwithlewesdistr.pdf

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
The Maltings is already closed to the public, while they box up the contents and move them to The Keep.

As for the future of the building ... ESCC intend to transfer ownership to Lewes District Council, in exchange for Lewes District Council transferring Southover Grange to ESCC. LDC will use The Maltings to "develop the cultural and heritage identity of Lewes". ESCC will use Southover Grange (which they currently lease from LDC) to "provide an enhanced registration and ceremony facility to residents in East Sussex".

http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/nr/rdo...item5proposedexchangeoflandwithlewesdistr.pdf

Ed, is the move that was rumoured for ESCC to Polegate still on? I think you mentioned it to me once, and I heard it from another source as well. A couple of questions: if that happens, what will go on St Anne's Crescent? Housing, offices? Secondly, would Lewes cease to be East Sussex's County Town, or would it keep it, if only for ceremonial purposes?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

LB: Thanks for clarifying that, I don't go past the Maltings much these days so am interested to hear about this. I wonder what LDC will make of the building. Although characterful it was very limited as an archive but has potential for some other cultural purpose. Very handy for the Lewes Arms too.

Ed, is the move that was rumoured for ESCC to Polegate still on? I think you mentioned it to me once, and I heard it from another source as well. A couple of questions: if that happens, what will go on St Anne's Crescent? Housing, offices? Secondly, would Lewes cease to be East Sussex's County Town, or would it keep it, if only for ceremonial purposes?
The last I heard was that it was still an ambition of the Conservative group on ESCC. But what difference the loss by the Tories of overall control in last May's elections will make, I don't know. A fair deal of administration is now located in Eastbourne anyway. As for the "county town" status, I'm not sure what it means, if anything, these days.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The Keep may well be a fantastic place inside but it looks awful from the outside.

dumb question but wouldn't it have been cheaper to scan the records?
A dumb question - It would take a very long time to do this, there are hundreds and thousands of documents at least.
... and some of them are very old indeed - and odd shapes and sizes. There is, in any event, a national project to digitise records held locally in all public record offices - ESCC are participating in this, but it won't cover everything.

And I'm sure no-one would agree to dispose of medieval records, simply because a photo-copy is available. An example (chosen at random from the on-line catalogue) is this item from the deeds of Herstmonceux Castle, which date from 1385:-

U1384/T12/1
Feoffment of unspecified land; Thomas Chiche, Thomas Wallere, John Broke and Thomas Broke, draper, to Richard Brenchesle and his wife Ann;
Year:- 1406

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
As for the "county town" status, I'm not sure what it means, if anything, these days.

I suppose when Brighton and Hove became a unitary authority, the balance of power naturally shifted east as Eastbourne became the largest town. A shame really, as although I'm from Eastbourne, Lewes should, in my opinion, continue its eminence as our civic centre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here