Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Footballers who have done time...

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
Bit of a debate with some of my pals last nights about footballers who have done time and then gone on to carry on their football careers...

Obviously Gary Madine and Ched Evans are the ones in the news at the moment and in the past theirs been Marlon King, Troy Deeney , Lee Hughes etc etc

But would you be happy if The Albion signed any one who's done time and would matter what they had done??

My View was as long as they had really served their time and showed deep remorse for what they had done then I wouldn't be too bothered about them representing us! Especially someone like Deeney!

I'm guessing there will be a few people who disagree...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Not a problem. If the club saw no problem, I would always be inclined to give someone a chance.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Robert Codner did a few weeks at HMP Lewes

Only after a warrant being out on him for over a year after a failure to attend court. Codner finally got nicked after getting pulled for a motoring offence.

The Argus court report claimed at the time, he was 'on the run' for so long as Sussex Police stated: "nobody had heard of him", despite being an Albion regular. That would have deflated his ego!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Other ex-Albion players who have spent some time as a guest of Her Majesty include Bill Cassidy, Graham Cross and Mickey Thomas - all after they'd played for the Albion. Although Thomas should have been arrested for impersonating a footballer when he was with us

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tony Adams instantly springs to mind.

As much of a media storm it was at the time, imagine if that happened now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Big Duncan Ferguson.

A man more at home in jail than on the football pitch.

Anyone who shows Paul 'the Gov'nor' Ince at his true spineless best is fine by me:-

A certain Mr Swan (Peter, no relation). Decent player, Sheffield Wednesday centre half, played 19 times for England and would almost certainly have been in Alf Ramsey's squad for the 1966 World Cup if he hadn't got 4 months in chokey and a life ban from football for a betting scam.

Evidently he agreed to throw a match against Ipswich but didn't need to because Sheffield Wednesday were well beaten anyway without him having to do anything.

Silly boy.

Huge scandal at the time with well known players involved http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_betting_scandal_of_1964

Edit: sorry, just noticed the OP asked about players who went on to continue their careers. Sorry to have taken up 15 seconds of your life you will never get back because i didn't read the question :dunce:

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A certain Mr Swan (Peter, no relation). Decent player, Sheffield Wednesday centre half, played 19 times for England and would almost certainly have been in Alf Ramsey's squad for the 1966 World Cup if he hadn't got 4 months in chokey and a life ban from football for a betting scam.

Edit: sorry, just noticed the OP asked about players who went on to continue their careers. Sorry to have taken up 15 seconds of your life you will never get back because i didn't read the question :dunce:

But Peter Swan did resume his career. I saw him play at the Goldstone around 71 or 72: it was an entertaining 3-3 draw with Wednesday

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
West Ham were going to buy Ilombe Mboyo but their fans went crazy after they found out he was previously in prison and the deal was cancelled.

But Peter Swan did resume his career. I saw him play at the Goldstone around 71 or 72: it was an entertaining 3-3 draw with Wednesday

You're right, I didn't realise his life ban was lifted and he went on to play for Wednesday and then Bury.

And I must have seen him pay in the game you mentioned because I went to every home game back then.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Luke McCormick

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Bobby Moore, Pele, Russell Osman, John Wark, Kevin O'Callaghan, Ossie Ardiles...

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Remi Moses...honestly can't remember if he resumed his career or not. He certainly went down for a fair time. Also Peter Storey, George Best, Robin Friday and Graham French.
Think two others went down with Peter Swan as well.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You're right, I didn't realise his life ban was lifted and he went on to play for Wednesday and then Bury.

And I must have seen him pay in the game you mentioned because I went to every home game back then.

Just looked it up. 21st Oct 1972 - I remember that there were lots of people unhappy that the ban had been lifted, although I don't recall any booing - not like when Lee Hughes last played against us

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Remi Moses...honestly can't remember if he resumed his career or not. He certainly went down for a fair time. Also Peter Storey, George Best, Robin Friday and Graham French.
Think two others went down with Peter Swan as well.

Bronco Layne and Tony Kay - don't think either of them resumed his career

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here