Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How big is the gap between BHA & Crawley?

Given that we are languishing in 15th in the Championship & if Crawley win their game in hand will be 6th in league 1, is the difference on the field between the sides the closest that has ever been?

I haven't seen Crawley play at home this season (occasionally do when the Albion are away).

Any thoughts from anyone who has seen Crawley this season?

Have also post a similar thread on the CTFC.net forum for the opposing team view.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
About 23 miles and at least that many light years....

ps....why was their fixture vs Bristol City postponed?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The difference is that Crawley couldn't sustain success at Championship level. Their crowds are low even by League One standards and haven't kicked on as much as the club would have hoped. No doubt the proximity to London clubs (and the Albion) are an issue for them.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The difference is that Crawley couldn't sustain success at Championship level. Their crowds are low even by League One standards and haven't kicked on as much as the club would have hoped. No doubt the proximity to London clubs (and the Albion) are an issue for them.

I might put it down to the fact that they've only had a FL team for a few years. Prior to that anyone wanting to see football at some kind of standard had to go North or South. Might be interesting to understand if they are actively now recruiting support amongst the youth of Creepy

As for the gap I'd say it was huge. Generally L1 football is of a very average standard ... one or two half decent teams but that's about it

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Given we are not languishing anywhere just struggling with a few injuries to key players & given the investment in the stadium & academy is approaching £129m I would say the gap is as big as the gap between your ears!!

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I saw their game against Wolves on the telly and they played some really good stuff. It seems like Richie Barker is doing a great job on a limited budget. Future BHA manager maybe?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I might put it down to the fact that they've only had a FL team for a few years. Prior to that anyone wanting to see football at some kind of standard had to go North or South. Might be interesting to understand if they are actively now recruiting support amongst the youth of Creepy

As for the gap I'd say it was huge. Generally L1 football is of a very average standard ... one or two half decent teams but that's about it

They have a good junior section that is growing and offers the usual coaching schools in the holidays etc. if the Albion don't get their fingers out they will lose junior followers to Crawley who at least offer a package.
Overall Crawley's business model must be unachievable. They put nearly all their money into the playing staff and have little investment in anything else. There is a behind the scenes benefactor but you get the impression that the money will run out at some stage and with such low gates, the writing is on the wall.
The good thing os that they are there and can offer a more traditional football experience with terracing and burger vans.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
They have a good junior section that is growing and offers the usual coaching schools in the holidays etc. if the Albion don't get their fingers out they will lose junior followers to Crawley who at least offer a package.
Overall Crawley's business model must be unachievable. They put nearly all their money into the playing staff and have little investment in anything else. There is a behind the scenes benefactor but you get the impression that the money will run out at some stage and with such low gates, the writing is on the wall.
The good thing os that they are there and can offer a more traditional football experience with terracing and burger vans.

As far as I'm aware, they're backed by an equity management firm who if I remember correctly, wanted to sell some equity to raise cash. I wonder if they've done that. I saw their game against Wolves and was impressed, Richie Barker does have them playing some really attractive football. But also noting what Edna said, it's no surprise they do get low gates. It'll either plateau for a while or decline if they don't see much more success.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
People say Crawley are 'no threat' to us and aren't our rivals and of course they're right. (Until such time as Crawley have plans for a 35,000 capacity stadium and a state-of-the-art training centre). However we should also be grateful that the stars of both clubs are in the ascendant at the same time. If Crawley had shot up the leagues when we were bumping along in division four would the gap between the clubs now be as big? Would we have got Falmer? ("If Sussex people want to watch football in a modern stadium they can go to Crawley which is an ideal location") Would people from mid-Sussex suddenly have decided that it would be a good idea to support their local team instead?

Like all good comedy it was all about timing. If Crawley had got their act together earlier and had cashed in on our misfortune we could well have ended up here in 2013 as the junior club. (Although there would be umpteen rows on here as people would claim to our gloating Crawley rivals that we were bigger than them).

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
People say Crawley are 'no threat' to us and aren't our rivals and of course they're right. (Until such time as Crawley have plans for a 35,000 capacity stadium and a state-of-the-art training centre). However we should also be grateful that the stars of both clubs are in the ascendant at the same time. If Crawley had shot up the leagues when we were bumping along in division four would the gap between the clubs now be as big? Would we have got Falmer? ("If Sussex people want to watch football in a modern stadium they can go to Crawley which is an ideal location") Would people from mid-Sussex suddenly have decided that it would be a good idea to support their local team instead?

Like all good comedy it was all about timing. If Crawley had got their act together earlier and had cashed in on our misfortune we could well have ended up here in 2013 as the junior club. (Although there would be umpteen rows on here as people would claim to our gloating Crawley rivals that we were bigger than them).

An excellent post sir.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think we should not compare the clubs ,we should hope Crawley do well and I would like them to overtake CPFC as our Derby rival team if it lifts the passion for football in Sussex great. We don't have any right to be arrogant about football matters as we have been nearly down and out of the league and that day at Herford will always be in my memory. Good luck Crawley in the future and all the other Sussex clubs trying to raise the standard of football in the county .

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

'Junior club'
Utter Tosh
Crawley have had it all their own way lately & are still viewed by less than we had at Gillingham, in a division lower.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Given that we are languishing in 15th in the Championship & if Crawley win their game in hand will be 6th in league 1, is the difference on the field between the sides the closest that has ever been?

I haven't seen Crawley play at home this season (occasionally do when the Albion are away).

Any thoughts from anyone who has seen Crawley this season?

Have also post a similar thread on the CTFC.net forum for the opposing team view.

CTFC.net.. In total there are 8 users online :: 2 Registered, 2 Hidden and 4 Guests says it all really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here