Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Probability question

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When out shopping today, the radio in the shop was playing Day Tripper; the room at the back of the shop was also playing Day Tripper, but about a second behind the other radio. I thought that it was being played over a computer, which would explain the delay but when the song ended, I was amazed to discover that the two radios were tuned into separate stations.

Here's a question for the stattos: what are the chances of two stations playing the same song at, pretty much, exactly the same time? To work it out, you'd need to know how many records are on radio station's play list: I'd have thought this would run into thousands but have no idea

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Probably featured in something on TV over the last couple of days, and both DJs (are they still called DJs?) found themselves being reminded of it and had the desire to dig it out.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Not sure about the separate stations odds....but I do know that the digital broadcast and analogue/fm broadcast are slightly time different.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
On a similar theme: what is the statistical probability, please, of turning on Heart FM at any given moment in time and finding Michael Buble playing?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Was it perhaps that one station was on the analogue local version, and the other was on the digital national (or other region) version, and the song was followed by a regional thing? You can watch bbc southeast and bbc norfolk on sky, both will play the same national news, then switch to different local news.

I believe Heart FM has different territories.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not sure about the separate stations odds....but I do know that the digital broadcast and analogue/fm broadcast are slightly time different.

Was it perhaps that one station was on the analogue local version, and the other was on the digital national

As I said, that was my first thought but they were two completely different stations. I think one was Heart but no idea of the other

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
On a similar theme: what is the statistical probability, please, of turning on Heart FM at any given moment in time and finding Michael Buble playing?

1 in 3 as they only appear to have 6 records, and 2 of them are by Buble

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
As I said, that was my first thought but they were two completely different stations. I think one was Heart but no idea of the other

Can't have been Heart. They'd have had Buble on, or Emelie Sande.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

"Heart*is a network of 17*adult contemporary*local radio*stations in central and southern England and north Wales. Each station broadcasts localised breakfast/drivetime on weekdays and afternoons on weekends (however two stations air increased localised output at some other times). Networked programming is simulcasted at all other times. Sixteen of the Heart stations are owned and operated by*Global Radio*with one station,*Heart Hertfordshire, owned independently as a*franchise."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can't have been Heart. They'd have had Buble on, or Emelie Sande.

Well, I wasn't sure, I think the DJ said Heart but there were two contrasting stations on at the same time, each saying different things so it was hard to hear

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Yes, I got that, but my post also referred to different but same stations, like heart, as whitelion covers in more detail.

I specified local analogue and digital as an explanation for how they could be different stations after he song and the time difference. Analogue local heart in the front of the store, digital london heart in the back.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
When out shopping today, the radio in the shop was playing Day Tripper; the room at the back of the shop was also playing Day Tripper, but about a second behind the other radio. I thought that it was being played over a computer, which would explain the delay but when the song ended, I was amazed to discover that the two radios were tuned into separate stations.

Here's a question for the stattos: what are the chances of two stations playing the same song at, pretty much, exactly the same time? To work it out, you'd need to know how many records are on radio station's play list: I'd have thought this would run into thousands but have no idea

Very low! Tho I do know that Boomtown Rats song is only ever played on one day of the week & also if there are 23 people in the same room it's 50/50 whether two have the same birthday & with 75 it's 99.9%

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I've hit the same song, but not something that old, on two stations at once while flicking around a number of times. Happens on the music stations on cable also the odd time.

I've heard stations that aren't officially networked/co-branded but in the same ownership group have two completely separate DJs with the same playlist before also.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here