Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

House extension

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
Looking to have a single storey extension added to the back of my house.

The work will involve removing the old conservatory, building the extension and knocking down the back wall to make the room open plan and fitting new kitchen.

There will be electrical works for new lighting, power points etc, also plumbing and gas works as need to relocate a combi boiler.

Can anyone recommend a company to do this? I'm looking for a company that can complete the whole project if possible without me having to source each trade myself. I'm pretty sure this will need to go through building control so they will need to provide drawings and calcs for this, as part of the package.

I'm based in Portslade.

Thanks in advance.

Bones

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
Brighton Home Improvements

http://brightonhomeimprovement.co.uk/

Will give you a great deal (ask for Tom), mostly likely be less then most other quotes - this doesn't mean lack of quality. Costs are lower because very little is sub contracted.

This is a recommendation - I am not linked to this company in any way (although this certainly comes across this way).

Edit - and they are based in Portslade - the only issue is that Tom is an Arsenal fan.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Try Checkatrade, every contractor I've used from there has been first rate. The reviews will tell their own story.

For example: http://www.checkatrade.com/TjbBuilders/

But it's not the whole story...it's easy to bias the sample, some traders will ask you how they have done & when you say great THEN hand you a form to fill in, which they take away & load onto system if THEY want to...

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

The work will involve removing the old conservatory, building the extension and knocking down the back wall to make the room open plan and fitting new kitchen.

There will be electrical works for new lighting, power points etc, also plumbing and gas works as need to relocate a combi boiler.

Can anyone recommend a company to do this? I'm looking for a company that can complete the whole project if possible without me having to source each trade myself. I'm pretty sure this will need to go through building control so they will need to provide drawings and calcs for this, as part of the package.

I'm based in Portslade.

Thanks in advance.

Bones

http://www.gcs-builders.com

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
But it's not the whole story...it's easy to bias the sample, some traders will ask you how they have done & when you say great THEN hand you a form to fill in, which they take away & load onto system if THEY want to...

As I've said I'm going from my own experience. I've used Pest Control, Garden maintenance, Roofers, Blinds and all have been excellent. I also submit the reviews directly onto the checkatrade website.The forms that you can fill out are posted directly to checkatrade. Not saying it's perfect but far, far better than yellow pages or google.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Simon Beeny of Hamiltons 07921 512921 virtually built my house from scratch last year. I can't recommend him highly enough. If you want to pop round and see his work PM me. I'm on Shoreham Beach.

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
I'd suggest you get the plans drawn up first (by a competant draughtsman rather than an architect) and then get at least 3 quotes from builders.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

I'm based in Portslade.

Thanks in advance.

Bones

I tried to PM you, but it seems that you don't want to receive messages.
I would be interested in quoting for the work, call me on 07833 982487 if you would like me to come and see you.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
I'd suggest you get the plans drawn up first (by a competant draughtsman rather than an architect) and then get at least 3 quotes from builders.

Most builders will do the drawings for you these days,cuts costs down.my loft extension was done by rainbow and they done the drawings and nothing was subbed out,got the whole package.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

100% this. Very very rarely find negative feedback as they pick and choose what they put on, also many comments are made up by some of the businesses. I was told this by an honest carpenter quoting me for a job.

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
One company I would advise you to avoid is DMB( design, manage, build)based in Brighton,they use mostly sub contractors, then tell contractors to just get it in with little care to the standard of work. They are also notorious for not paying sub contractors for little/ no reason.

Have seen and heard good things about ACG based in hove.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Give Sams Dad a bell. We will then have a friend of NSC on the job, who can organise the webcam and keep it running until the end of the job. It might fill in the gap for us before they start the Hotel and Car Park build.
We like webcam friendly builds!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here