Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many Sussex born and bred players should the Albion have in the first team squad?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Given the recent focus on the amount of English players playing in the Premiership, the qualification for the right to play for England and the general state of the England team should Albion make a stand and say they will always play an amount of Sussex based players or always have say 20% of the squad from Sussex?

My thought is no, you must be joking, we want the best players TB can find us. However, with a new academy and the FFP does it make sense to create such an ambition?

We all bleat about the lack lustre England team but surely the example needs to come from somewhere. Maybe the first step is at least 50% of the squad is English?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
This. I couldn't care less where they come from. I'd take a Neptunian striker at this point.

Can we come back to this question when we have an up and running and established training facility which will have produced 75% of our European Trophy chasing first team squad, all born and bred in Sussex.

Didn't mama Cass once do a song called Dream a Little Dream.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
In terms of players from the youth team, to have 5 in the squad of 25 and 2 of which in the starting line-up, is a great place to start.

In our position, with AEA, Dunk, JFC and Ince all first team candidates, and with Barker and March in around the first team, it's not bad at all.

I think if you can blood one youth teamer per season into the starting lineup / first choice 16, thats a very good thing. Which is something we've pretty much done, with Dunk, JFC and Ince all being blooded in the last few seasons.

Realistically, you can't aim to just throw everyone in, as you end up with a not-good-enough, and inexperienced squad (unless you have a youth team of wonderkids)

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Would love eventually an entire Sussex born squad, but the truth is, that's not going to happen.

Unless we Sussex folk secede from the UK and become an independent state with our own football league......

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Would love eventually an entire Sussex born squad, but the truth is, that's not going to happen.

Unless we Sussex folk secede from the UK and become an independent state with our own football league......

We Should invade Hampshire, Surrey and Kent. Once we've secured them I'm sure we could quickly take over the UK.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
now maybe 4/5
when the training facility is up and running I would expect a good few more than that

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
None - unless they are good enough.

Your forgetting how opportunity and luck plays a major role.

99% of young players usually take the place of a player that is better than them, they are given the opportunity either due to 'club policy',injury, illness or suspension etc etc. and then prosper or do not.

So the 'only if good enough' is never really the answer.

Oct 25, 2003
i can't help but wonder how different football would be if all clubs purely contained players from the local area

fairer and less money orientated, i suspect

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
i can't help but wonder how different football would be if all clubs purely contained players from the local area

fairer and less money orientated, i suspect

The connection between players and fans would be felt much, much more keenly, which would make it more exciting.

Also I suppose youth academies would try to get players to move to the area at VERY young ages?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That's my point should it be say 20% of Sussex born and bred, i.e 5 in a squad of 25.

There's always the point of EU employment law etc, I'm not saying we make it a hard and fast law but should we aim to achieve this through nurturing local talent as a start point for a national squad and more English players in Premiership & Championship squads?

Our game is being ripped apart by cheaply imported players, I'd say the Albion with its local talent is doing well but we must try to maintain this. That said how many minutes this season have local lads contributed to our games?

Oct 25, 2003
The connection between players and fans would be felt much, much more keenly, which would make it more exciting.

Also I suppose youth academies would try to get players to move to the area at VERY young ages?

it would be ALL about youth academies and coaching basically....there would be no transfer fees and wages would be lower....don't want to pay a player £20k a week? Then don't....where else is he going to go?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
it would be ALL about youth academies and coaching basically....there would be no transfer fees and wages would be lower....don't want to pay a player £20k a week? Then don't....where else is he going to go?

What would be rule in terms of how long they had to live in an area to play for the relevant club?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here