Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the hotel build an indication of a lack of ambition?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
If we ever wanted to increase the capacity at the amex would the hotel build limit the options of increasing the east side? Could be another goldstone lane???

The roof is so integral to the stadium structure I don't think it can be taken down so any further capacity increase would only be by internal alterations such as moving the seats closer together.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Are the other threads not good enough?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
oh no its not,foundations in place for build on:p

Where did you hear that? The only way they can increase capacity on any side will be to remove the roof. It's been discusssed ad infinitum.

As for the suggestion it shows lack of ambition are you suggesting that the club should spend a chunk of that £55m on players. Sounds a bit like Portsmouth and Leeds but still people never learn.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Any further future expansion would take place at North end. East and South expansion would restrict light getting onto the pitch. There is I believe still room for a few extra seats in south east corner.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Where did you hear that? The only way they can increase capacity on any side will be to remove the roof. It's been discusssed ad infinitum.

Small thinking. Lots of ways to increase capacity and/or attendance:

- dig down to create a subterranean seating area, where standing will be mandatory if they want to see the game
- provide a timeshare seating arrangement where those who leave 40 minutes in and don't return to their seat until a good 5-10 minutes after the second half kicks off, then leave again before 80 minutes, can share their seat with those who are more interested in the drinking than the football but want to be able to get a few minutes of football/gesturing at the away supporters/abusing Ashley Barnes in
- provide hot air balloons for those who like the aerial perspective
- allow two people who are each no more than 5' 4" to share a seat for a slight discount, providing that one sits on the other's lap at all times

And I'm sure there are many more.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I don't think the plans are an indication of a lack of ambition but I do think they suggest that the money TB has ploughed into the club wasn't necessarily based on pure altruism - after all he is only doing now what he knows best.
-

As for the suggestion it shows lack of ambition are you suggesting that the club should spend a chunk of that £55m on players. Sounds a bit like Portsmouth and Leeds but still people never learn.

Agree the roof would have to be removed but this is a possibility when the time is right.Always part of the long term options.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agree the roof would have to be removed but this is a possibility when the time is right.Always part of the long term options.

Something must be wrong as I am agreeing with ROTR. I was told that when laid the foundations were sufficient to put another tier on every side of the ground after the roof has been removed and then replaced, a long term project but will probably not happen in my time.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

No. No it wasn't.
In all discussions on this and other forums, in the media, and wherever else the Amex has been discussed over the years that has never been an option but when you are on one of your many wind-ups I guess that is of no importance :thumbsup:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I thought Martin Perry had categorically stated that it wasn't possible to expand the Amex any further?

Indeed.
On a stadium tour when asked the question he used the terms "internet rumour" and "physically impossible" while suggesting that for all but a very small elite anything over early to mid 30K attendances was generay viewed as being unsustainable economically.

What is now being considered is the optimisation of income on a sustainable basis.
Business sense not fans' fantasies.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
There will always be a way if you throw enough money at it (look at the Bernebau), but it will never happen here. No demand beyond 30k from a smallish city, no reason to bother when they're quite clearly happy to just keep raising prices instead.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Something must be wrong as I am agreeing with ROTR. I was told that when laid the foundations were sufficient to put another tier on every side of the ground after the roof has been removed and then replaced, a long term project but will probably not happen in my time.

Ah, the promulgation of another urban myth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here