Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Shareholders Database'

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just throwing out a little query to the sages of NSC.

I've just received my n'000th cold call - this time from a company asking me to invest in a wine company. APW I think they're called.

I asked them how they got hold of my name and number, and she replied 'shareholders database'. I asked her what that meant, as I don't recall asking to be placed on any 'shareholders database'.

'You've invested with us before...', she said, which is a total lie, 'which is why your name is on the shareholders database.' I told her that that was rubbish. 'Ah, well - do you have a mortgage?'

'Nope. So how did you get my number?'

'Shareholders database'.

'Really? Which shareholders database? Let's try again - how did you get my number?'

'Shareholders database'.

'No such thing, and I'm not on it' (yes, I do get the contradiction there) 'Last chance, how did you get my number?'

'Shareholders database'.

It would have been more realistic if she'd just answered 'rubber dinghy rapids'. At which point I hung up, having vaguely threatened her with TPS etc.

My point is - what is a 'shareholders database'? Does it exist or is it merely a ruse to legitimise their call? Or is it a phone list that has been sold by a third party (Orange?) against the Data Protection Act?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They have probably seen you wine-ing on this message board and thought you'd be a good investor to have on board :lolol:

Oct 25, 2003
the person on the phone probably didn't know how you ended up on the database....they would have just been given it and told to ring everyone on it

that's why you didn't get a straight answer

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Funny

I hold lots of shares and have never had any calls because I am on a shareholders database!

You probably forgot once to not tick do not share my details with "carefully selected" other companies box on a form you filled, by carefully selected they mean any b*****d that stumps up a few pennies to get the list of names.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
the person on the phone probably didn't know how you ended up on the database....they would have just been given it and told to ring everyone on it

that's why you didn't get a straight answer

Exactly , all they are doing is cold calling. There are companies who compile name/address/contact number databases who then sell these lists to businesses.

Just throwing out a little query to the sages of NSC.

I've just received my n'000th cold call - this time from a company asking me to invest in a wine company. APW I think they're called.

I asked them how they got hold of my name and number, and she replied 'shareholders database'. I asked her what that meant, as I don't recall asking to be placed on any 'shareholders database'.

'You've invested with us before...', she said, which is a total lie, 'which is why your name is on the shareholders database.' I told her that that was rubbish. 'Ah, well - do you have a mortgage?'

'Nope. So how did you get my number?'

'Shareholders database'.

'Really? Which shareholders database? Let's try again - how did you get my number?'

'Shareholders database'.

'No such thing, and I'm not on it' (yes, I do get the contradiction there) 'Last chance, how did you get my number?'

'Shareholders database'.

It would have been more realistic if she'd just answered 'rubber dinghy rapids'. At which point I hung up, having vaguely threatened her with TPS etc.

My point is - what is a 'shareholders database'? Does it exist or is it merely a ruse to legitimise their call? Or is it a phone list that has been sold by a third party (Orange?) against the Data Protection Act?

Just think what it will be like when no one calls??? I DREAM OF GETTING ON THE SHARE HOLDERS DATA BASE:blush:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Whenever I ask the claim is they purchase blocks of numbers from other companies

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here