Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stag do in Hamburg - Your advice and suggestions are required

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
In a little over a week 10 of us will be heading out to Hamburg. Unfortunately the one activity I had planned has fallen through, which was to watch a football game, as St Pauli are playing away and the Hamburg game will be on the Sunday when we're flying home. The flights were booked before the fixtures were announced, and in Germany they only pick what day the games are played (from Friday-Sunday) about a month in advance.

I don't want to spend the whole weekend in the Reeperbahn, so any suggestions for what else we could do?

Only thing on the agenda so far is to head to the Fishmarket at 5am on Sunday (if I'm not passed out in bed).

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The sternshanze is a cool area with nice bars. Seek out zoe 1 and zoe 2 located next door to each other. Also nearby and quite close to sankt pauli area is a cafe/restaurant called hate harry that is very popular with locals.

May 12, 2009
Miniaturwunderland (world's largest model railway). And the Nikolaikirche (ruined memorial church with glass elevator giving great views of the city) is pretty good too. Not really stag do visits but something different.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Do some sex with ladies.

That's always on my todo list, but unfortunately one of the items that I never quite get to.

The sternshanze is a cool area with nice bars. Seek out zoe 1 and zoe 2 located next door to each other. Also nearby and quite close to sankt pauli area is a cafe/restaurant called hate harry that is very popular with locals.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Miniaturwunderland (world's largest model railway). And the Nikolaikirche (ruined memorial church with glass elevator giving great views of the city) is pretty good too. Not really stag do visits but something different.

I'm not looking to do the really lairy Brits abroad stag do, but I think this would be taking it a bit too far the other way! I have seen it highly recommended, so it'll be on the list if I visit again.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
In a little over a week 10 of us will be heading out to Hamburg. Unfortunately the one activity I had planned has fallen through, which was to watch a football game, as St Pauli are playing away and the Hamburg game will be on the Sunday when we're flying home. The flights were booked before the fixtures were announced, and in Germany they only pick what day the games are played (from Friday-Sunday) about a month in advance.

I don't want to spend the whole weekend in the Reeperbahn, so any suggestions for what else we could do?

Only thing on the agenda so far is to head to the Fishmarket at 5am on Sunday (if I'm not passed out in bed).

Don't mention the war.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Love that city. Personally I was quite happy on the Rheperbahn all weekend when I went... Good pub near the police station called the London Inn, proper dank gaff but cheap lager, and you can buy trumpet from some a few of the blokes behind the jump. Good Irish bar at the start of the strip as well, I forget the name Harry something or others. Have to climb up a mountain of steps to get there but well worth it as they have top draw live bands and two rooms downstairs with different genres of music. Managed to get kicked out of one of the rooms when it was heavy metal night for 'moshing too rough' - which I didn't think was even possible...

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Have a look at a boat tour of the harbour. Very interesting, and gives you an insight into the history of the place.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Also, not sure where you are staying but the people working in the hostels don't really enjoy guests running semi-naked around the hotel at 3am shouting out the names of former Formula 1 drivers. Just a tip for you.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Also, not sure where you are staying but the people working in the hostels don't really enjoy guests running semi-naked around the hotel at 3am shouting out the names of former Formula 1 drivers. Just a tip for you.

Thanks, I'll ensure that we're suitably dressed when shouting Schumacher and Vettel.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Also make sure you visit a cocktail bar in the empire riverside think it's called 20 up. As the name suggests its 20 floors up and has amazing views. Situated just off the reeperbahn.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I was going to start a thread about Hamburg today as I quite fancy going there and seeing a St Pauli game....not on a stag do obviously though.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I was going to start a thread about Hamburg today as I quite fancy going there and seeing a St Pauli game....not on a stag do obviously though.

I was hoping to watch St Pauli but I had to book flights before the fixtures were released. I even checked the calendar to avoid the international fixtures this weekend, so figured there was a 50-50 chance we'd see either St Pauli or Hamburg. Unfortunately I was wrong!

Will there be issues getting into any of the bars or clubs as a group of 10?

Unfortunately the few suitable activity ideas I've seen have already been done on previous stag dos, including the beer bike (in Amsterdam) and a boast cruise (in Prague with a stripper on the boat, obviously). I might still go for one of these.

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
Are Werder Bremen at home - its only about an hour on the train.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Love that city. Personally I was quite happy on the Rheperbahn all weekend when I went... Good pub near the police station called the London Inn, proper dank gaff but cheap lager, and you can buy trumpet from some a few of the blokes behind the jump. Good Irish bar at the start of the strip as well, I forget the name Harry something or others. Have to climb up a mountain of steps to get there but well worth it as they have top draw live bands and two rooms downstairs with different genres of music. Managed to get kicked out of one of the rooms when it was heavy metal night for 'moshing too rough' - which I didn't think was even possible...

That sounds much more fun than a giant train set!

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
A shame about the St. Pauli fixtures. In February I went on a weekend when both HSV and St. Pauli were playing at home, saw both games, absolutely brilliant experience! Although the standard of football on show left a lot to be desired!

Brother Sid

Jan 4, 2006
Horsham
As a frequent visitor to Hamburg try East Hotel and its wonderful bar in Simon Von Utrecht Strasse , just north of the Reeperbhan and with the added attraction of a good Indian restaurant around the corner , The Maharaja.
A boat trip is well worth it around the port, canals and Hafen City.
Also some good second hand record shops (a bit anti social on a stag do) Groove City in the hip Markstrasse, and PureSoul in Kohlhofen Strasse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here