Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wi Fi signal booster

Have just gone high speed, works fine but I think it would go faster if I hard wired my pc rather that use wireless connection even with the signal booster I use. Other than getting a new BT socket fitted I believe there is a product that somehow sends the signal via the normal household electric circuit. Provided I am not imagining it please could you let me know if such a thing exists, price and ease of set up.

Promise I will buy it via Amazon on the site link.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
They are called Homeplugs. They are alright but you gotta make sure they are connected through as few extension leads as possible for the best signal.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Click Amazon link. Enter wi-fi booster. It took me 5 seconds.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
There very good. I have been using a set of homeplugs for a couple of years and I get no loss of speed. My router is in the living room and my PC in the spare bedroom. One of them goes through an extension socket and doesn't seem to cause any problems. They do work best though if both ends are on the same 'ring' circuit. I'm ok because its a bungalow and therefore only has the same circuit throughout.

Devlo make good ones.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'd echo these comments.

My problem was with concrete floors upstairs that the wirelss signal couldn't penetrate.

The Devolo product that carries the signal through the mains is easy and brilliant

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
I use a homeplug and plug a wireless repeater in the other end, so have strong signal throughouy my house. Very starightforward and effective. Make sure you get one as high speed as you can, future proof and all that

Just taken delivery of a couple of BT Broadband Extenders from Amazon at around £36. Literally was a case of plug in and go (took longer to hoover up the dust behind everything) - speed has gone up from 14579kbps when I tested before installation, now consistently over 50000kbps.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I've just bought a Devolo. Those who also got these, did you have a problem with the WiFi key on the back? My phone won't recognize it.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Does the key include hyphens? If so make sure you input these as well as letters/numbers.

I did, yeah. I tried both sets, although the numbers only, clearly said 'WiFi key'.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Are you sure you are putting in the right code? If its the same as mine the only one you need is "Sec ID" which has 4 groups of letters separated by hyphen. Your 2 sets of numbers may have been the dLAN MAC code or the WLAN MAC code

Last edited:

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I have a very poor broadband speed,ap 1.5 ,this only limps upstairs at some very unsocial hours. Will this device help to maintain ,a usable speed upstairs,at peak usage times ? cheers.

I have a very poor broadband speed,ap 1.5 ,this only limps upstairs at some very unsocial hours. Will this device help to maintain ,a usable speed upstairs,at peak usage times ? cheers.

These are the little beauties that I took delivery of on Saturday http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Broadban...sr=8-1&keywords=BT+Broadband+Extender+200+Kit and they have transformed my broadband. Speed check I have just done came back with a speed of 55300kbps and the added bonus is that this is a steady figure and doesn't change to any significant degree through the day. I assume you have not yet gone high speed but I suspect that these would still give an improvement for you.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
These are the little beauties that I took delivery of on Saturday http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Broadban...sr=8-1&keywords=BT+Broadband+Extender+200+Kit and they have transformed my broadband. Speed check I have just done came back with a speed of 55300kbps and the added bonus is that this is a steady figure and doesn't change to any significant degree through the day. I assume you have not yet gone high speed but I suspect that these would still give an improvement for you.

Cheers Norman !

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Will this help with lack of signal? Since we have had Sky+ and a couple of iPads, there doesn't seem to be enough signal to go around.

Will this help with lack of signal? Since we have had Sky+ and a couple of iPads, there doesn't seem to be enough signal to go around.

Um, not sure but in addition to the aforementioned wired connection we have a "plug in" wireless signal booster upstairs (which also came from Amazon) for the benefit of the Young Pottings iPods. They report that their BBC iPlayer quality is vastly improved with no drop outs like they used to experience. Yesterday my PC and both iPods were in use with no adverse effects.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
OK. Think you have a different model to mine. Mine is a 200 yours could be a 500. You do have a Sec ID though so might be worth trying that on your phone.

You're right, it is the 500. I did try the Sec ID, but will try again. Thanks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here