Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which cool Band, of their time, now sound dated and a bit naff to you??

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'll start with... the Doobie Brothers...

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Do you mean the stuff they were producing at the time or the records they put out now? Personally i find a big chunk of 80's music hasn't dated well, so much of it was terribly overproduced.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pretty much any 90s britpop band.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Do you mean the stuff they were producing at the time or the records they put out now? Personally i find a big chunk of 80's music hasn't dated well, so much of it was terribly overproduced.

Yes, the stuff that was raved about at the time. I find most older bands and singers struggle to put out decent stuff these days when their heyday was a couple of decades ago at least. The Stones, Elton John etc

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Pretty much any 90s britpop band.

Oasis and Blur? I was never a big fan but I do still like quite a few of their popular songs, even today.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oasis and Blur? I was never a big fan but I do still like quite a few of their popular songs, even today.

Sounds very dated now though doesn't it? The production techniques, the drum sound etc.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Libertines
Kraftwerk
Public Enemy
Sex Pistols

Not Kraftwerk. Their sound is timeless, and a huge number of bands/scenes now do everything they can to get even close to a similar sound nowadays.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not Kraftwerk. Their sound is timeless, and a huge number of bands/scenes now do everything they can to get even close to a similar sound nowadays.

Completely Kraftwerk for me. I happen to think they are the most influential band of all time but listening to their records leaves me cold, electronic music has moved on so far.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
One of my students this morning did a presentation on SuperHeavy, a supergroups including Dave Stewart, Mick Jagger, Joss Stone, Marley jnr and an Indian guy. Not a classic band as new but 'classic' musicians.

Thought it was very poor.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It has to be The Beatles.

Edit Reread the question yep Beatles are in
I would love to agree with you on this one, but I think we could be seriously outnumbered on this one.

I would have to go for the Stone Roses, they still sound to me like a very average sixties band and I don't get how anyone could get so worked up by them.
Duran Duran, probably because I never liked them anyway.
Simple Minds, just because

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Do you have ears?

For me it would be the Moody Blues - although I would not be sure they were ever that cool.

Have to agree, but they were very cool around Go Now, admittedly with Denny Laine as lead singer at the time. I listened to Ride My See Saw the other day and it really did sound cheesy and naff, as well as dated. I used to quite like it at the time though.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Edit Reread the question yep Beatles are in
I would love to agree with you on this one, but I think we could be seriously outnumbered on this one.

I would have to go for the Stone Roses, they still sound to me like a very average sixties band and I don't get how anyone could get so worked up by them.
Duran Duran, probably because I never liked them anyway.
Simple Minds, just because

Stone Roses are a great shout. Totally of their time & therefore hasn't aged well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here