Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mischievous managerial question

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If Malky Mackay was to leave Cardiff...would you swap him for Oscar?

I would. In a heartbeat, no hesitation. If Cardiff are dumb enough to let that situation spiral out of control, someone else is going to get a great manager.

It wouldn't be so much a reflection on Oscar, just reacting to an unexpectedly strong candidate in the market.

Mackay is a class act, and as well as the coaching and the tactics he has one other thing going for him. Players are a bit afraid of him, very important and rare these days.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
NO, we ditched Cattlin to bring in Mullery, it went badly. We ditched Wilkins to bring back Adams, it could hardly have gone worse. Karma is a bitch and sacking decent managers just because there is a percieved, slightly better one available, deserves Karma's attention.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
If Malky Mackay was to leave Cardiff.

Mackay is a class act, and as well as the coaching and the tactics he has one other thing going for him. Players are a bit afraid of him, very important and rare these days.

Give Oscar two seasons before starting to judge unless we are in the bottom three. He has been very unlucky with injuries.

Also that style of management wouldn't work on me and if I was earning what a championship footballer earned it would have even less of a positive influence on me.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
NO, we ditched Cattlin to bring in Mullery, it went badly. We ditched Wilkins to bring back Adams, it could hardly have gone worse. Karma is a bitch and sacking decent managers just because there is a percieved, slightly better one available, deserves Karma's attention.

That's hardly the same. Cattlin took us to decent league finishes, and Wilkins one season wasn't too bad, but we know nothing about Oscar yet, other than winning an Israeli League title.

I'm not saying OP is right, but OG has an awful lot to prove before you can call him decent.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The ONLY positive I could see in getting Mackay in is that he might get Conway to show us that he is not a waste of space on the pitch. Harsh maybe but I have seen nothing from him at all yet and I mean nothing. Yes I should give him time but even if unfit and not settled in yet surely we should see flashes of what he is capable of.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Well if Moyes decides to leave Man Utd, or Rodgers leaves Liverpool, or Wenger leaves Arsenal...............................

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't buy into this making people afraid of you improves your performance viewpoint, and there is little to back it up in any management studies.

I would suggest that a lot of your management studies don't involve feckless young millionaires. Football is different. They need to know they can't take the piss. The evidence of what happens when they do is all around you.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I watched him play for Swansea reserves in the Welsh cup on SC4 while we lived up there, very committed and I think at the time he was being looked at by the Albion as a player
done well as a manager
but I think we should keep what we have

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If OG got the bullet (unlikely) Malky would be a very solid replacement.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't it about this time last year that we had threads about sacking Gus??

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Worth bumping this, if Malky did get the sack from Cardiff we should nip in quick and get him and his mate who was sacked and get rid of Burke too
You are generally aren't happy with Oscar are you?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Nathan Jones would make a good assistant too...

Nathan Jones should have absolutely zero input into the club IMHO. Same as Charlie Oatway should never have had under Poyet. Hardly great thinkers on the pitch. No reason whatsoever for either of them to be let anywhere the first team. Part of the problem.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here