Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Salt beef, bacon and rye bread.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I started making my own sausages earlier this year and they've been such a success that I'm moving on to bacon and salt beef both of which I've got brining at the moment. Two questions 1) any one else do this and got any tips and 2) anyone know where I can get some suitable rye bread for the salt beef.

Many thanks.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
If you're going all artisanal, shouldn't you make you own Rye bread. Making bread is good fun (no, not using a breadmaker, that's not "making" bread), but I don't know the in and outs of Rye in particular.

The other bits sound good though

Actually I do make my own bread and I will try a rye if someone has a tested recipe.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
http://www.realpatisserie.co.uk/category/shoreham-products/shoreham-breads/

w_IMG_4871-570x380.jpg

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I started making my own sausages earlier this year and they've been such a success that I'm moving on to bacon and salt beef both of which I've got brining at the moment. Two questions 1) any one else do this and got any tips and 2) anyone know where I can get some suitable rye bread for the salt beef.

Many thanks.

Is it easy to get into making sausages?

I'm BANG up for that.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If you bring samples to hand out at the next game I'll be delighted to provide feedback.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Seriously though, do you use a machine to fill the skins and if so which one? I have often toyed with the idea of making my own as the commercial fillings don't exactly fill me with confidence that I'm eating healthily.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Seriously though, do you use a machine to fill the skins and if so which one? I have often toyed with the idea of making my own as the commercial fillings don't exactly fill me with confidence that I'm eating healthily.

I currently use the sausage making attachment to the mincer on a Kitchen Aid mixer, works well. You know exactly what has gone into them and they taste better than 99% of sausages.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Is it easy to get into making sausages?

I'm BANG up for that.

You need a mincer with a stuffing attachment (try eBay ) and some skins which are available on line. Use real, pre loaded hog casings. Then about an hour and a sense of humour to make about 10 lbs., they freeze well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here