Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taping the knowledge of NSC......Castles?

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Mum and I booked to come into England once more this coming April. We did a fair bit of your touristy stuff on our last excursion over (Tower of London, Stonehenge etc) and looking to visit some much older and historic stops in the Country. Castles! The only 2 of note I know of are Warwick and Arundel but am looking for any suggestions on others? We will have rail passes to get us anywhere so that's no issue. So fire away NSC suggestions on Castles in England?

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
There are a string down the border between England and Wales, well worth a look. Not too sure how well public transport will get you from one to the other, though.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Castles are right up my street. I ruddy love them.

Just along the road, North of Hastings, you've got the gorgeous Bodiam castle,

5.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As above, Bodiam is lovely. don't bother with Bramber Castle though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Make sure you don't miss the fabulous Elephantand Castle, in London.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
If you visit Arundel, head slightly North and see the smaller, but equally as lovely, Amberley Castle.

299.jpg

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Arundel obviously. Leeds Castle (in Kent not Leeds) is fabulous.

And although I suppose not really a castle, if you are planning a day in London, the Tower of London is still worth a trip.

Corfe Castle

Corfe_84.JPG

Thousand-year-old royal castle shaped by warfare
Enjoy one of Britain's most iconic and evocative survivors of the English Civil War, partially demolished in 1646 by the Parliamentarians.

A favourite haunt for adults and children alike, you can't fail to be captivated by these romantic castle ruins with breathtaking views across Purbeck.

Discover 1,000 years of our history as a royal palace and fortress. With fallen walls and secret places, there are tales of treachery and treason around every corner.

Spot the 'murder holes' and count the arrow loops. Feel history come to life and see the wildlife that has set up home here.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Warwick Castle is pretty good. There's a lot to do there such as the falconry displays which are well worth a look. It's fairly pricey though if you pay full price. I'd have a look for any promotional offers first.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Make sure you don't miss the fabulous Elephantand Castle, in London.

There's a few around called "bouncy" for some reason (sounds a bit french to me, bloody Normans). If you visit, mind, you're not allowed to wear shoes, and there's no gift shop.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Corfe Castle

View attachment 47498

Enjoy one of Britain's most iconic and evocative survivors of the English Civil War, partially demolished in 1646 by the Parliamentarians.

A favourite haunt for adults and children alike, you can't fail to be captivated by these romantic castle ruins with breathtaking views across Purbeck.

Discover 1,000 years of our history as a royal palace and fortress. With fallen walls and secret places, there are tales of treachery and treason around every corner.

Spot the 'murder holes' and count the arrow loops. Feel history come to life and see the wildlife that has set up home here.

Whilst I love Corfe and the surrounding area, I found the castle itself a little boring. Not one of the best

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I love Corfe and Tintagel. They have a 'presence' to them.

Bestest of all though is....

Bramber :clap:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Corfe Castle

View attachment 47498

Corfe is great, so long as he enjoys ruins, and not just impressive intact castles, like Arundel.

If he does Corfe, he can stop at Maiden Castle, on the way, if he likes neolithic 'castles' that are actually, just, um, hills.

Whilst I love Corfe and the surrounding area, I found the castle itself a little boring. Not one of the best

Can go there by Steam Railway and stay in Swanage - nice little seaside town. Basil Fawlty was born there I recall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here