Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFP financial fair play

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Can somebody please explain how this works because I'm confused.

We had an average attendance of over 26000 last year but can't afford to buy anybody yet bournemouth averaged abouth 8000 & are spending money as if it is going out of fashion.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Thirty seven pages, three flounces, two " you are a cxxt" twelve " we know better than you" and one cantankerous old git acting all superior.

Straight answer...no-one actually knows mate. That is the issue!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Thirty seven pages, three flounces, two " you are a cxxt" twelve " we know better than you" and one cantankerous old git acting all superior.

Straight answer...no-one actually knows mate. That is the issue!

I'll volunteer for the cantankerous old git - I'm sure I can do superior (better than all the other losers on here, anyway).

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I'll volunteer for the cantankerous old git - I'm sure I can do superior (better than all the other losers on here, anyway).

So I take it by the bollocks that has been posted on here that nobody knows.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'm going to go with fishing as well, surely no one who reads NSC even semi regularly can be this dim now?

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I'm going to go with fishing as well, surely no one who reads NSC even semi regularly can be this dim now?

If reading NSC semi regularly is 12 hours a day then no I don't.

I have obstacles preventing me from doing that

(a) a job
(b) a wife
(c) a child

But thank you for your well informed answer to my question

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Fishing for what you idiot. (please explain)

I was hoping for an explanation as to why we have not strengthened our team.

You post this thread and call me an idiot?

Browse around a bit. Have a little read. Do you want me to perform a search for you and give a link? Or are you ok to do it yourself?

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
You post this thread and call me an idiot?

Browse around a bit. Have a little read. Do you want me to perform a search for you and give a link? Or are you ok to do it yourself?

I asked a question you didn't have to respond.

The idiot quote was in response to the fishing jibe.

I know the basics of FFP but thought I might get another take on it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, you could start by reading this - The Swiss Ramble - Championship Finances. It has pictures and graphs and everything.

And you could have a shufty at this - FFP Explained
Thanks for those, good stuff.

UEFA's details say the sanctions for a Championship team that overspends are: "Transfer ban (plus fine for clubs that overspend to gain promotion to Premier League)" It doesn't say 'or fine', it says 'plus fine', which would suggest promoted clubs get a transfer ban too. I realise that's after the summer spending, but still, that's not how I've read about it on NSC, where it's been said that it's just a fine for clubs that are promoted.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

UEFA's details say the sanctions for a Championship team that overspends are: "Transfer ban (plus fine for clubs that overspend to gain promotion to Premier League)" It doesn't say 'or fine', it says 'plus fine', which would suggest promoted clubs get a transfer ban too. I realise that's after the summer spending, but still, that's not how I've read about it on NSC, where it's been said that it's just a fine for clubs that are promoted.

The Football League's own explanation seems to indicate that the transfer embargo only applies to clubs remaining in the Championship.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Well, you could start by reading this - The Swiss Ramble - Championship Finances. It has pictures and graphs and everything.

And you could have a shufty at this - FFP Explained

And here is the League's explanation - The Football League - FFP

Or you could search this very board for one of the numerous threads that has appeared over the last few months.

You're welcome.

Brilliant links to a sarcy OP, well done.

To the original poster, have a look in the first link of AZ's post. Check out Bristol City. Spending lots of money does not guarantee success, does it? I'm personally delighted that my club is not trying to spend beyond its means, if writing off this season due to injuries to key players means doing this then :shrug: that's football. Better luck next year.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Hadn't seen that before, great bit of work!

Brilliant links to a sarcy OP, well done.

Pleased to be of service, chaps.

With the focus the club has put on FFP, I think we may be on the way to having the most financially-literate supporters in the Championship (the occasional exception on this board notwithstanding). I must admit I was taken aback somewhat by the general attitude to FFP by Forest supporters on one of their message boards; they seemed to WANT their owner to flagrantly ignore the rules and buy success. I have always had a soft spot for Forest, given their fine footballing traditions (and no little success) under Clough, but if those fans are typical, allied to their horribly irritating manager and wilfully rule-breaking owner, I will wish them nothing but on-the-pitch failure and financial doom.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Pleased to be of service, chaps.

With the focus the club has put on FFP, I think we may be on the way to having the most financially-literate supporters in the Championship (the occasional exception on this board notwithstanding). I must admit I was taken aback somewhat by the general attitude to FFP by Forest supporters on one of their message boards; they seemed to WANT their owner to flagrantly ignore the rules and buy success. I have always had a soft spot for Forest, given their fine footballing traditions (and no little success) under Clough, but if those fans are typical, allied to their horribly irritating manager and wilfully rule-breaking owner, I will wish them nothing but on-the-pitch failure and financial doom.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here