Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lewes Road bus lane/traffic congestion

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
So, who is affected by the ridiculous volumes of traffic trying to squeeze through the single lane on Lewes Road and the subsequent queues on all roads attached to it?

I've not seen the effect during the day yet but rush hour is just mad; it adds about half hour onto my journey now, whichever route I take. The gyratory is at a complete standstill for minutes at a time.

Still - not like any of us could possibly have seen this coming :ffsparr:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Took around 15 mins to drive down Combe road today. All traffic Turning left at the bottom was in a que which backed up the road. No one was able to turn right without driving on the wrong side of Combe road down from around Dewe road to the bottom. Got no evidence to back it up but cannot see how pollution around this area is worse as a result. Vehicles sitting outside the primary school pumping out exhaust fumes

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I'm a bus user, so should benefit, but it's just chaos heading home, northbound, from the Race Hill onwards. A bus I was on was even involved in a crash at the Gyratory the other night, I'st time that has happened since that mad roundabout was built.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
I drove down there Sunday afternoon and it was pretty clear. Although it's a mess, particularly the cross over points at junctions where it is quite tight cutting across the bus lane - and why haven't they leveled the road and laid new tarmac - there is quite a gully in some places.

I can well imagine it's horrendous at rush hour.

All the bus stops were empty by the way, and I saw one cyclist.

The queues of traffic going towards Brighton on Monday evening, at about 5-5.30 pm, were unbelievably long and slow. Tonight, things seemed a great deal better - although I base that conclusion on how things were at about 5.40pm (slightly later).

This suggests to me that there was a particular problem on Monday, rather than a permanent problem.

Travelling by bus at peak times is a joy, though.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The queues of traffic going towards Brighton on Monday evening, at about 5-5.30 pm, were unbelievably long and slow. Tonight, things seemed a great deal better - although I base that conclusion on how things were at about 5.40pm (slightly later).

This suggests to me that there was a particular problem on Monday, rather than a permanent problem.

I got to the Hollingbury exit of the A27 at 5.30pm. I got to Coombe Road at 6.10pm.

Took the same amount of time yesterday (and I tried a different route today)

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Its made my journey home from Chichester worse. More traffic is trying to use the Falmer Rd (avoiding the Lewes Rd) causing a much longer tailback on the A27.

Its really dangerous - traffic travelling at motorway speeds down the hill coming upon stationary traffic in both lanes. I reckon there'll be a massive accident there soon.

I left the academy at 4.30 n there was grid lock. I can't believe the carnage this road improvement has caused. If ididn't in brighton i would never come back..oh other than to see the mighty albion!!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Travelling by bus at peak times is a joy, though.

Because they have discovered going up Ditchling Road and through Woodingdean gives a better view whilst not moving very much.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
My road---Widdicombe Way has now become a rat run at peak times in the morning and evening.
Instead of thirty cars an hour its more like one hundred & thirty.
Thank you mr kit cat & duncen blinkhorn you #####

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The cycle lane is a joy to use: nice flat surface and it's now wide enough to overtake other cyclists. It's made my journey much easier, I don't praise the Tories too often but they did well getting this funded.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
The cycle lane is a joy to use: nice flat surface and it's now wide enough to overtake other cyclists. It's made my journey much easier, I don't praise the Tories too often but they did well getting this funded.

So what do you have to say about my post?

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
My view is that this new road layout is a ****ing joke, complete waste of money! and as someone has already mentioned why have they not resurfaced the road? its like driving on the moon.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean

That's what I don't understand, correct me if I am wrong but there was already a cycle lane! what was wrong with the old one?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
My view is that this new road layout is a ****ing joke, complete waste of money! and as someone has already mentioned why have they not resurfaced the road? its like driving on the moon.

What did you think of the car parked on the pavement since Saturday lunchtime at the bottom of the Lane-----'Police Aware' ha fecking ha.
To get around it you had to walk into the road----elf n safety??????????????

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Its made my journey home from Chichester worse. More traffic is trying to use the Falmer Rd (avoiding the Lewes Rd) causing a much longer tailback on the A27.

Its really dangerous - traffic travelling at motorway speeds down the hill coming upon stationary traffic in both lanes. I reckon there'll be a massive accident there soon.

You mean like it is when Brighton play at home?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not sure about the green party, should be the carbon monoxide party guaranteed to increase all levels fecking idiots

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Surely though this new system is better for the environment, better for bus users, better for pedestrians and better for cyclists? The council wouldn't have done it if it wasn't would they?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Gwylan, I hope you wear a helmet and have lights on your bike when the clocks change.Cos despite all the so called improvements someone on a bike is going to get squashed sooner or later. Most of the students who live around me haven't got a clue. Mummy & Daddy have paid for their digs but do not seem to have the money for these items.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here