Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sin bins in football

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Don't go thinking that I am some kind of 'oh, look how great and fair and sporting rugby is' type of guy, as I quite frankly hate the game and the fact that a so called 'rugger' player can flip another so called 'rugger' player upside down onto his head in a clear attempt to cripple him for life. However, I think sin bins should be introduced into football with immediate affect.

When a player receives a second yellow he should go to the sin bin for 10 mins, increasing by 10 mins for every subsequent yellow card he receives when allowed back onto the pitch. Straight red cards should be rewarded with 25 mins in the sin bin.

This will solve the problem of matches being completely ruined by red cards.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Don't go thinking that I am some kind of 'oh, look how great and fair and sporting rugby is' type of guy, as I quite frankly hate the game and the fact that a so called 'rugger' player can flip another so called 'rugger' player upside down onto his head in a clear attempt to cripple him for life. However, I think sin bins should be introduced into football with immediate affect.

When a player receives a second yellow he should go to the sin bin for 10 mins, increasing by 10 mins for every subsequent yellow card he receives when allowed back onto the pitch. Straight red cards should be rewarded with 25 mins in the sin bin.

This will solve the problem of matches being completely ruined by red cards.

I can see the following players welcoming this rule: El Hadji-Diouf; Joey Barton; Pepe; Busquests etc.

Think yellow card sin bin...anything that values a red they're off. Rugby players do get sent off the field of play...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The only thing that has always seemed unfair to me is if you get sent off in the first minute of a game you miss virtually 2 games when if you get sent off in the last minute it's only really one.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Firstly let me declare an interest here. I bloody love a good sending off.

Having got that out of the way, I still think it is a crazy idea in football. There is enough cynical fouling, without bringing back the perpetrator after 10 minutes. Also I don't want to see 6 v 7 for the last 10 minutes of a grudge match, plus all the additional stoppages as they slowly jog to the touchline.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
How are games ruined by red cards? If a player gets sent off it does not ruin the game. Well, OK, he may have ruined the game from his teammates point of view.

Beckham, England, Argentina, World Cup??

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Telscombe Seagull

Aug 15, 2003
Burgess Hill
Personally think it could be a good idea for things that Refs don't book people for but are supposed to. I.e. Man Utd players in the refs face after every free kick etc, bin them for 5 mins. not as harsh as a bookign but might teach them that complaining won't help.

Of course if they simply booked them each time then it would stop after a few games but we knwo thats never gonna happen :(

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Yellow sin bin. Red off.

Not a bad idea. Will never happen though
That is the answer...get a yellow...sin bin for 15 mins....red off. It would stop a lot of cynical fouls as if you stop an attack and give away a free kick the defence fall back,giving them time to stop another attack,whereas the attack split the defence has an advantage.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The only thing that has always seemed unfair to me is if you get sent off in the first minute of a game you miss virtually 2 games when if you get sent off in the last minute it's only really one.

Never thought of that.

Easy to fix with bans being dished out in minutes rather than games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here