Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, farewell then, menthol cigarettes

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Banned under a new EU directive:

http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/news...large-on-pack-health-warnings/4008156.article

Anyone here a smoker of menthols? I must admit I'm not aware of any smokers I know choosing to smoke menthols, but they must have a market
Although there will be a ban on menthol cigarettes the tobacco companies have got around this by introducing "fresh burst" fags. Also being overlooked is the end to packets of 10 cigarettes with a new minimum packet size of 20.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Although there will be a ban on menthol cigarettes the tobacco companies have got around this by introducing "fresh burst" fags. Also being overlooked is the end to packets of 10 cigarettes with a new minimum packet size of 20.

Will that stop the corner shops opening the packets to sell them singly to school kids? Somehow, I doubt it.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Actually I think the minimum packet size is a bigger deal. Selling only packs of 20 will put them out of reach of a lot of smokers.

Also I'm confused by the banning of words like Light and Mild as I thought this had already been done. Marlboro Lights don't say Marlboro Lights on the packet anymore, and haven't done for years. They're just in a different colour packet to regular Marlboro and everyone knows they're the "light" brand

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Will that stop the corner shops opening the packets to sell them singly to school kids? Somehow, I doubt it.

Selling loose cigarettes attracts a £1000 fine , selling to anybody under 18 is a maximum fine of £2,500 on top for the shop owner and a £1,000 fine to the employee who made the sale (plus a criminal record).

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
That's correct. The other night i was in a pub and someone i knew was smoking a jewel fag. I thought he was trying to pull the wool over my eyes by saying if you squeeze the butt it turns into a menthol cig. He wasn't

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Selling loose cigarettes attracts a £1000 fine , selling to anybody under 18 is a maximum fine of £2,500 on top for the shop owner and a £1,000 fine to the employee who made the sale (plus a criminal record).

I know the legislation is there, but when do you see it being implemented? When my kids were growing up, everyone knew there were two or three corner shops that were breaking the law.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't know if I'm a bit drunk and want a fag I'll just end up buying 20 and then have loads over after a night out that I'll end up smoking during the week. If I bought 10 they'd be doen by the end of the night and I wouldn't smoke again for weeks until another big night out.

Not sure they've thought about this, people are just going to buy more then they want and then smoke them.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Would that work???

Correct me if I'm wrong but menthol cigarettes simply use a menthol filter tip rather than any different tobacco. And unless I was doing it wrong in my student years, you don't roll a joint with a filter

Then I shall correct you, the filter and tobacco are menthol flavour. Makes it a lot less harsh using menthol instead of normal cigs :)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I know the legislation is there, but when do you see it being implemented? When my kids were growing up, everyone knew there were two or three corner shops that were breaking the law.

If you work in retail you'll know that corner shops selling fags to kids in school uniform is fast becoming an urban myth. Test purchases made by Trading Standards , the local police authority , trade bodies and retail chains don't use volunteers who are clearly under age but a 17 year old who will pass for being 3 or 4 years older than they actually are.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Actually I think the minimum packet size is a bigger deal. Selling only packs of 20 will put them out of reach of a lot of smokers.

Also I'm confused by the banning of words like Light and Mild as I thought this had already been done. Marlboro Lights don't say Marlboro Lights on the packet anymore, and haven't done for years. They're just in a different colour packet to regular Marlboro and everyone knows they're the "light" brand

I have been calling them Marlboro Gold for about two years now. I only smoke when I have been drinking and probably have on average 5 a week. The 10 size 'poverty' packets are therefore perfect for me. 20s will just encourage me to smoke more. On a slightly separate note I discovered that one of the central Brighton newsagents which will remain unnamed puts up the prices of its cigarettes depending on the time of day. Midnight onwards they are all repriced by around an extra 70p and then reduced again for the next day. I did not believe it the first time I found out but it's totally true as I went back several times on different days to check.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Been a 20 minimum here for about ten years. The initial rumour was that it was going to be specifically 10 packs that were banned, leading to Players bringing out a 15 box for a few months. Also means that Davidoff can't even be imported - sold in 19 packs. Which they'll have to sort out as they're popular all across the continent.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Been a 20 minimum here for about ten years. The initial rumour was that it was going to be specifically 10 packs that were banned, leading to Players bringing out a 15 box for a few months. Also means that Davidoff can't even be imported - sold in 19 packs. Which they'll have to sort out as they're popular all across the continent.

Still get customers asking for 20 Pall Mall even though they changed to packets of 19 a couple of years ago. Coincidentally the Pall Mall brand is being revamped this month with the introduction of "click on".

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here