Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IMF revises it's forecast of uk economy

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Can I ask a question, well a couple of questions - did you refer to Gordon Brown as 'James'? If not, why not?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
A few rich kids feeling well off does not matter when 99% of the electorate are suffering from pay cuts & freezes and ever increasing prices

Or the largest rise in basic rate tax thresholds (from £6,475 in 2009 to £10,000 next year) in living memory?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Or the largest rise in basic rate tax thresholds (from £6,475 in 2009 to £10,000 next year) in living memory?

They're only the biggest because they've been frozen for so long.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The forecast for UK growth this year received a significant upgrade to 1.4%, up from July's estimate of 0.9%.

And for next year the IMF expects UK growth of 1.9%, up from July's projection of 1.5%.
The IMF's upgrades for its outlook on the UK are larger than those it made for any other country in its World Economic Outlook.

What are Ed 'crisis' Miliband and Ed 'flat-lining' Bollx going to moan about now?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The forecast for UK growth this year received a significant upgrade to 1.4%, up from July's estimate of 0.9%.

And for next year the IMF expects UK growth of 1.9%, up from July's projection of 1.5%.
The IMF's upgrades for its outlook on the UK are larger than those it made for any other country in its World Economic Outlook.

What are Ed 'crisis' Miliband and Ed 'flat-lining' Bollx going to moan about now?

IMF = Even a broken clock is right twice a day

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The growth is excessively driven by personal debt and private consumption but that has been a characteristic of the UK economy since the 80s and before, and notably during the Blair/Brown years. There is evidence of some rebalancing in the economy towards manufacturing and surely that's welcome.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Yes there is growth, but who is enjoying this growth. Not me, my living expenses go higher each year, yet my take home pay has gone down. The best I can look forward to in the next 5 years is 1% pay rises.........unless they reengage on that deal, like the NHS.

Typical Tory attitude. Offer a measley 1% pay rise to hard working, hard pressed and mostly low paid NHS Staff, then if that's not enough to withdraw it.

Usual Tory agenda, redistribution of wealth from those that can ill afford it, to those already wealthy. Public Services cut. Taxes cut for the well off.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes there is growth, but who is enjoying this growth. Not me, my living expenses go higher each year, yet my take home pay has gone down. The best I can look forward to in the next 5 years is 1% pay rises.........unless they reengage on that deal, like the NHS.

Typical Tory attitude. Offer a measley 1% pay rise to hard working, hard pressed and mostly low paid NHS Staff, then if that's not enough to withdraw it.

Usual Tory agenda, redistribution of wealth from those that can ill afford it, to those already wealthy. Public Services cut. Taxes cut for the well off.

Two questions :

1. Isn't the higher personal allowance helping the lowest paid ?

2. What did Labour do for 15 years to help the worst off ?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I work in the public sector. Forget pre tax pay, my take home pay has actually gone down. I earn less than I did in 2009. I have had no pay rise for the past 3 years. I now have received 1% for this year. I am not alone in this. Without the higher personal allowance, I would be even worse off.

I'm not saying that Labour was the answer. But, there was working tax credit, child tax credit. Public Services that were actually funded, rather than cut.

I'm not getting into politics, cos its always based on ones own perspectives.

But, even the most blinkered can see whats going on here. A bedroom tax for those that can ill afford it, yet you have the right to buy scheme......upto £600,000.

Cuts to benefits again to those that can ill afford it, yet you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be tax cuts that will benefit the most.

I'm not against wealth creators, and actually I don't care if they have a tax cut, but come on, pay for it by cutting benefits to the poor. Morally wrong!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not getting into politics, cos its always based on ones own perspectives.
It looks like you are.
But, even the most blinkered can see whats going on here. A bedroom tax for those that can ill afford it, yet you have the right to buy scheme......upto £600,000.

Cuts to benefits again to those that can ill afford it, yet you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be tax cuts that will benefit the most.

I'm not against wealth creators, and actually I don't care if they have a tax cut, but come on, pay for it by cutting benefits to the poor. Morally wrong!
So which tax cuts for the rich are you talking about?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I work in the public sector. Forget pre tax pay, my take home pay has actually gone down. I earn less than I did in 2009. I have had no pay rise for the past 3 years. I now have received 1% for this year. I am not alone in this. Without the higher personal allowance, I would be even worse off.

Those of us in the private sector have suffered just as much. I haven't had a pay rise for 5 years.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
All economies will be f---ed if those idiots in Washington don't get their arses and brains into gear and raise the U.S.debt ceiling!!!!

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm talking about the tax cuts that Osbourne and co are planning. Lets see what these nationalisations eventually pay for (one off receipts I may add)

The reason why I said I'm not getting into Politics, cos at the end of the day, no one has been found to be right. Its always down to ideology. Not everything that the Tories do is wrong, nor everything that Labour do is great. But there needs to be fairness in how we govern this country and so far I cannot detect much fairness by this Govt.

Those that can ill afford to pay, have borne the brunt of paying for the mistakes of the bankers etc.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm not saying private sector workers haven't suffered. They have big time. What this Govt enjoys doing is divide workers. I'm not falling into that trap. My argument is that those that can ill afford it, be it in the public sector or private sector have borne the brunt in correcting this countries problems. I would welcome a degree of fairness by this Govt, but I am not holding my breath. Just don't like Osbourne or Cameron. Clarke would have been much better.

Those of us in the private sector have suffered just as much. I haven't had a pay rise for 5 years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not overally convinced about anything the IMF says. They seemingly back anything.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here