Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Striker - Tony Bloom

fozzie's headband

Jul 26, 2004
Heathfield
No don't worry Tony Bloom isn't our new striker! But here's what he had to say on the BBC website:

Brighton chairman Tony Bloom says the club will sign a new striker on loan by the end of the international break.

Leo Ulloa, Craig Mackail-Smith and Will Hoskins are all currently injured.

"Leo being injured is a massive blow to him and the club. The good news is we have two weeks before the next game and we are sure to get in at least one forward," Bloom told BBC Sussex.

"Our job is to get the best possible one which is available, fit and ready to go for Yeovil."

Ashley Barnes is currently Brighton's only fit senior forward, with Ulloa out for two months because of a broken bone in his foot and Mackail-Smith (Achilles) and Hoskins (knee) out long-term.

Brighton chairman Tony Bloom on head coach Oscar Garcia

The Seagulls had already been looking to bolster their frontline before Ulloa's injury, but Bloom says the Sussex club's activity in the transfer market is affected by the new Financial Fair Play rules.

"We knew Financial Fair Play was coming so we are well prepared for it.

"What we are not so well prepared for is so many long-term injured, although we know it can happen," he said.

"We are spending a lot of time looking at what options we have and I am confident we will get the right one, or possibly two in, before the next game."

Following Saturday's 3-1 defeat to Nottingham Forest, Albion midfielder Keith Andrews admitted they were missing Ulloa.

"It's no reflection on Ashley Barnes, who is a fantastic player and does a great job for us, but Leo is a different type of forward. He gives us that little bit of a base up there to go and play off," the Irishman said.

"When we haven't got the fluid passing going that sometimes we have struggled with we can dink it up to Leo, he gets hold of it and the rest of the lads can make runs off that.

"We have got to adapt, come up with a plan B, be a bit more clever and tinker with things to adjust to that and overcome that."

Brighton are 15th in the Championship table, with 13 points from their opening 11 games.

Bloom said new head coach Oscar Garcia, who took charge following the sacking of Gus Poyet in June, had been hampered by a number of factors.

"Not only was there a shortened pre-season, with the start of the season coming early, but also so many of our key players [are] out long-term injured," he added.

"Under those circumstances he has done a really great job and I think there is a lot more to come."

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Did he say that last bit twice?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Ok, FFP, we get it, but can we stop offering it as an excuse, even BEFORE we make a disappointing signing. #sigh

Not saying I don't approve of being careful with the finances, as I do, I really do, but stop with mentioning FFP in every single interview whether it's about ticket prices, merchandising, advertising boards, or player signings.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ok, FFP, we get it, but can we stop offering it as an excuse, even BEFORE we make a disappointing signing. #sigh

Not saying I don't approve of being careful with the finances, as I do, I really do, but stop with mentioning FFP in every single interview whether it's about ticket prices, merchandising, advertising boards, or player signings.

What he's doing is being clever. He states without needing to spell it out, his full backing of his manager. He relates many of the difficulties encountered to exceptional circumstances beyond the control of the club or manager in relation to the injuries, and finally shuts those up who believe an open cheque book is the answer. He has stated we will have one or two ready for the next game, lets look forward to that. FFP is a reality not an excuse but many still see at that.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

I think he needs to say it a lot more, actually, because some people still don't understand it. It defines and dictates everything this club is doing in its business operation. It's at the heart of absolutely everything we're doing. It isn't just a detail.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think he needs to say it a lot more, actually, because some people still don't understand it. It defines and dictates everything this club is doing in its business operation. It's at the heart of absolutely everything we're doing. It isn't just a detail.

If anyone doesn't understand the FFP by now, no matter how many times it is repeated they will never understand. Not because they can't, just because they don't want to.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

but not a lot of other clubs apparently

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Yes we do understand it. It's rammed down our throats by the club at every opportunity. Probably more than most clubs.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

You do realise that he would have been ASKED about FFP's impact on a search for a new striker, right?

If you start an answer with ""We knew Financial Fair Play was coming so we are well prepared for it" then it's pretty obvious to me that the question was along the lines of "Have you found FFP a difficulty when looking for a new striker?".

It's not a statement released by TB, it's an interview.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Oh Tony, you TEASE.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
FFP, FFP, FFP, FFP, FFP, FFP, FFP, FFP, FFP, FFP, FFP

This is a sample of all Barber/Bloom correspondence, they just insert the glossy bits in and around these three letters.

Oh well, if we sign one or two championship quality strikers before Yeovil that will do the job. I really don't see where they will come from though. For them to be Championship quality they probably need to be a surplus to requirements type player at a premiership club.

Bechio is still up for grabs?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

This. Regardless of FFP, some would have us spend, spend, spend then complain when we go bankrupt

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
This. Regardless of FFP, some would have us spend, spend, spend then complain when we go bankrupt

how can this be with the crowds we get and the franchises in place ?

J2 BHA

NSC Patreon
Jul 28, 2004
What he's doing is being clever. He states without needing to spell it out, his full backing of his manager. He relates many of the difficulties encountered to exceptional circumstances beyond the control of the club or manager in relation to the injuries, and finally shuts those up who believe an open cheque book is the answer. He has stated we will have one or two ready for the next game, lets look forward to that. FFP is a reality not an excuse but many still see at that.

As you say Piltdown Man, FFP is a reality and I totally trust Tony Bloom to be doing the right thing and if that's keeping hold of the purse strings then fair enough.

However, I hope someone can help me as I am struggling to really understand how FFP works - i think it was in the programme on Saturday (or it may have been in the Argus match report yesterday come to think of it) where Forest were referred to along the lines of 'being a financial powerhouse in the Skybet Championship'. I cannot get my head around this term although by looking at their starting line-up then it's fairly obvious they have been splashing some serious cash. Surely, their financial 'power' must be linked to their revenue?

Given our attendances, pricing and the various ways in which we've been 'maximising revenues' since Paul Barber joined (I have no beef with him BTW) then how can Forest have so much more money to spend than us on their squad??? I think it's fair to say we do have a mid-table playing budget when you look at teams like Forest and Leicester etc but surely our revenue isn't mid table is it? Or am i missing something in how FFP works.

Genuine question which I hope is clear and someone can answer for me as it's bloody annoying seeing our club with huge gates every week, more merchandise on view around town than I ever dreamed possible and a suite of hospitality boxes sold out but us still having a relatively modest playing budget in comparison to the forest's of this world. Is it simply that Forest aren't complying with the FFP rules or something else I'm missing?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Which other clubs? I don't think that we're in a minority in trying to conform to FFP.

No, I suspect there's a handful at most that aren't trying to adhere. We've been doing it for several years so I can sort of empathise but it grates a bit when people or whingeing that it's isn't fair what some clubs are doing....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here